Table Mountain Pine Bonsai

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Everyone, I'm posting this threat to see if anyone has ever attempted to bonsai Table Mountain Pines (Pinus pungens)? I have don't a decent amount of research and haven't found any information regarding transplanting, soil types, or pruning? Any and all information regarding this species will be helpful. Thanks in advance 👍

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have never grown a Table Mountain Pine, Pinus pungens. Using Wikipedia, it is related, meaning in the same sub-section, Australes, of the genus Pinus, with 2 other species that are used occasionally for bonsai. Pinus radiata, and Pinus rigida, the Monterey Pine, and the Pitch pine. The Monterey pine is not often used for bonsai in North America, because it is not very cold tolerant. The Pitch Pine, P. rigida, has become more popular recently for bonsai. I would image most of the techniques used for pitch pine would apply to Table Mountain pine. So my guess is the P. pungens would be pretty adaptable to soil types, and would take well to standard techniques use for Pitch Pine. Like pitch pine, it may be capable of being treated as a "double flush pine". You are in North Carolina, your growing season is probably long enough to use double flush techniques on the tree. However. I have never grown one, so I am just guessing from "Internet Knowledge". I have no actual experience with it.

Let us know if you have success, or if it turns out to be a problem.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everyone, I'm posting this threat to see if anyone has ever attempted to bonsai Table Mountain Pines (Pinus pungens)? I have don't a decent amount of research and haven't found any information regarding transplanting, soil types, or pruning? Any and all information regarding this species will be helpful. Thanks in advance 👍
If you can find one that's collectible go for it...Most of the Table mountain pines I know of are on protected ridges in the Blue Ridge---uncollectible. Seems like they would be a decent tree to work with. Here's one that's been at Ravens Roost on the Blue Ridge Parkway for as long as I can remember--Used to live five minutes from it 45 years ago...This pic is pretty recent.ravensroost.jpg

Top Bottom