take a look at this base...googled and it came up bonsai a little Mandevilla

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Left name at garden center to do my shopping in the store. Forget the name and on my phone it doesn't save searches. But here it is. I was thinking cascade. It has white flowers.

Worse case to butcher practice wiring...

Attachments

• 20131003_121554.jpg
    20131003_121554.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20131003_121600.jpg
    20131003_121600.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 20131003_121630.jpg
    20131003_121630.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 134

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
IMO, the base doesn't do too much for me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Left my poisonous plants book at home...no where is it mentioned. From my smart phone...it was saying ones thought it was. But I find no valid points...as a fact. Unless my book is overlooked a few.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really hate to burst your bubble because of your enthusiasm but that is not a good "specimin". Its a tiny trunk with HUGE leaves. Also, IF I would even consider this as material with any potential whatsoever, I would not reallly consider this to be cascade material. It looks more like informal upright than anything else. But honestly, I would pass this thing by without even a second glance if I were looking for potential plants for bonsai. Believe me, I've bought plenty of "potensai" in my mind that just ended up as junk.

I understand you're new to the hobby and excited to start doing something. There is so much information, its all so confusing and time consuming to get through. I was where you are just 3 years ago so I know how strong that can be. Take some advice from someone with a smidgen more experience: stop, take a deep breath and stop trying to find bonsai in everything just for the sake of finding something. Please do yourself a favor and take a look around this site and others and learn what a good prebonsai is; ask questions. Save yyour money and buy something that you can really learn from. Also let the tree dictate where you go for styling instead of trying to make it into something you would like it to be.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I see you making the same mistakes that myself and so many other new people make. I'm trying to help save you both time, money and disappointment when you discover that little plant you bought a year ago really isnt what you thought it was.

Good luck

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could practice wiring on that, but you can practice wiring on just about anything. Wire some branches on some trees/shrubs in your yard, you can even prune off branches, bring them in the house, and wire them. I've seen that done at workshops.

Do you have any place near you where you can take some beginning bonsai classes or workshops? That's what I'd recommend. Even if it requires traveling, it would be worth it.

Chris

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really hate to burst your bubble because of your enthusiasm but that is not a good "specimin". Its a tiny trunk with HUGE leaves. Also, IF I would even consider this as material with any potential whatsoever, I would not reallly consider this to be cascade material. It looks more like informal upright than anything else. But honestly, I would pass this thing by without even a second glance if I were looking for potential plants for bonsai. Believe me, I've bought plenty of "potensai" in my mind that just ended up as junk.

I understand you're new to the hobby and excited to start doing something. There is so much information, its all so confusing and time consuming to get through. I was where you are just 3 years ago so I know how strong that can be. Take some advice from someone with a smidgen more experience: stop, take a deep breath and stop trying to find bonsai in everything just for the sake of finding something. Please do yourself a favor and take a look around this site and others and learn what a good prebonsai is; ask questions. Save yyour money and buy something that you can really learn from. Also let the tree dictate where you go for styling instead of trying to make it into something you would like it to be.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I see you making the same mistakes that myself and so many other new people make. I'm trying to help save you both time, money and disappointment when you discover that little plant you bought a year ago really isnt what you thought it was.

Good luck

Well...I appreciate your knowledge...and the understanding of where I am right now. I just took advice to find some sort of material to wire...not anticipating it to be good stock. The branches were flexible and I could bend them down quite easily. And the arch in the trunk...gave me the assumption of a cascade. I am not really minding it isn't a bonsai...but a cascading plant to give away next year if it looks decent enough and I don't kill it. But...maybe I'll just pass it to the neighbor who enjoys plants...

I do appreciate sound advice. Maybe I need to stick with actual pre-bonsai material...and save myself. ;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you're looking to learn to wire and if cascade trees are something that strikes your fancy, then I would suggest a procumbens nana juniper from a local nursery. They very often lend themselves to the cascade style, they are pretty tough and forgiving I've found. Try to find one in a 2 gallon or bigger pot with around a 1 inch trunk. Be careful, the have sharp needles and will be prickly to handle. I usually wear gloves when I examine them because you often havee to dive into the foliage to find the trunk. Don't get a pom pom juniper, or one that has been tied up and staked.

I don't think they will hurt your dog either. I have a few p.nanas and 3 dogs. No casualties yet.

Really though, the first thing you should be learning is how to keep things alive. Dead trees can't be made into bonsai. Learning to wire can come later.

Last edited:

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey there. I've been watching your threads with great fondness due to your enthusiasm and curiosity. I hope you don't burn out and leave us too quickly (you guys remember siggie?)

Anywho, I was in your shoes not too long ago. Let me tell you, they didn't fit at all and I may have blown out the toe on the left flat. :rolleyes: I was going to the nursery everyday picking up "practice materials" that wouldn't cost too much and wouldn't break my heart if I killed them. If you'll look through my earliest threads, they look a lot like yours in reference to picking up starter materials at the nursery in fact. Hell, my work shoes are dusty right now from looking through a new-to-me nursery down the road because it's still fun for me and relaxing to be around plants instead of contractors.

So while I still love looking at materials, one of these forum dwellers gave it to me straight. I had to be more selective. I had to be ready to leave without any new purchases. Looking through 100 plants might yield 1 suitable for bonsai. It might leave me with 0 and that's okay too.

What's the best case scenario? You practice subjects work out, your eye for good material sharpens, and you're left with undesirable trees on your bench that you learn will never amount to much. Even with 10, 20 years and countless hours of attention not to mention fertilizer that costs money.

Maybe instead of picking up 5 or 10 plants for $15, pick up 1 or 2 larger trunks that are more suitable to the culture; read, species and character.

Your journey is your own CT. I too was wary about the "naysayers" but when I started listening, I started saving money, time, and disappointment. Most of the plants in that nursery have been sitting there a long time. If you're curious, take some pics, post them and after a consensus from those here that are truly wonderful teachers, mentors, and colleagues; go back and pick them up.

Patience is the hardest lesson perhaps. I'm glad you've joined this forum.

btw, love those sale prices this time of year. these for shohin:

2013-10-03 14.12.38.jpg

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good input from all, and honest siggie is missed - really was a lot of fun to chat! But I have tried in PM to make a point of perhaps looking at a lot of plants and every Spring buy 3-5 of 5 or so of perhaps 5 types in pre - bonsai or even sapling stage. Take time to LEARN how to grow them in your climate and lifestyle. They are all great to own but not if you kill them. I have a lot of experience with Tropicals form working with my Wife. I decided over 6 years ago that I wanted to work on my own trees as well but not tropical. Today I have 70 trees in a rather wide variety in the 3-7 foot range that I can say I am confident I can grow - SIX YEARS is not that much. I also have 30 more smaller that I am learning to GROW as well. Next Spring I am going to purchase some "good" stock in varieties I am confident in as well as start another learning curve with Wisteria, Weeping Willows, Bougies, and two more I have not decided yet... My Point? Look at your experience and the amount of time your lifestyle allows, learn to grow trees, learn what substrate, water, and fertilizer works for you in those conditions. You will be greatly Satisfied down the road - I promise ;)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey there. I've been watching your threads with great fondness due to your enthusiasm and curiosity. I hope you don't burn out and leave us too quickly (you guys remember siggie?)

Anywho, I was in your shoes not too long ago. Let me tell you, they didn't fit at all and I may have blown out the toe on the left flat. :rolleyes: I was going to the nursery everyday picking up "practice materials" that wouldn't cost too much and wouldn't break my heart if I killed them. If you'll look through my earliest threads, they look a lot like yours in reference to picking up starter materials at the nursery in fact. Hell, my work shoes are dusty right now from looking through a new-to-me nursery down the road because it's still fun for me and relaxing to be around plants instead of contractors.

So while I still love looking at materials, one of these forum dwellers gave it to me straight. I had to be more selective. I had to be ready to leave without any new purchases. Looking through 100 plants might yield 1 suitable for bonsai. It might leave me with 0 and that's okay too.

What's the best case scenario? You practice subjects work out, your eye for good material sharpens, and you're left with undesirable trees on your bench that you learn will never amount to much. Even with 10, 20 years and countless hours of attention not to mention fertilizer that costs money.

Maybe instead of picking up 5 or 10 plants for $15, pick up 1 or 2 larger trunks that are more suitable to the culture; read, species and character.

Your journey is your own CT. I too was wary about the "naysayers" but when I started listening, I started saving money, time, and disappointment. Most of the plants in that nursery have been sitting there a long time. If you're curious, take some pics, post them and after a consensus from those here that are truly wonderful teachers, mentors, and colleagues; go back and pick them up.

Patience is the hardest lesson perhaps. I'm glad you've joined this forum.

btw, love those sale prices this time of year. these for shohin:

View attachment 42401

I was on far more...because I was sick...today...I was off doing errands and such. And even got a workout in! So I doubt I will be on as much...not leaving...just have things that will keep me busy.

Okay...I must admit it is tempting to buy a already made bonsai...and just to have one. But...I think not developing it...will cause it to lose some of it's a luster. I am quite artistic...and though this is new to me...I see the reasoning behind seeing if you can keep it living before. Buying a good specimen to kill and be out.

I do know...I have a definite one name on my list of bonsai...and it is this weeping form. It is unusual...not growing outside in someone's yard. And the blooms on practically naked limbs really is my cup of tea.

As for the toxic plants on a table...I think she would be okay with it...I just worry is all. About what if.

I have a juniper that is growing out...I would need to ponder if I want more than one...where it would go.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I actually walked around the nursery...and nothing stood out. I was let down. I need to learn not to...so I may have seen more out of the plant...seen a few people did bonsia and got excited...I've a box of wire...and nothing to wire...but I can hold off...and wait...for a good specimen pre-bonsai/Shohin version...that someone else deemed "bonsai" material. I think for me...that the best route...than to purchase on spur moments at a garden center.

I do appreciate all your advice...:)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I actually walked around the nursery...and nothing stood out. I was let down. I need to learn not to...so I may have seen more out of the plant...seen a few people did bonsia and got excited...I've a box of wire...and nothing to wire...but I can hold off...and wait...for a good specimen pre-bonsai/Shohin version...that someone else deemed "bonsai" material. I think for me...that the best route...than to purchase on spur moments at a garden center.

I do appreciate all your advice...:)

Nobody is saying to not shop or collect - It is a fascinating thing to do and we all still do :) Just saying pick some types and learn to grow them before slapping down the big "green" you will be FAR happier from the experience and your little trees could someday become even better then your best stock ;)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nobody is saying to not shop or collect - It is a fascinating thing to do and we all still do :) Just saying pick some types and learn to grow them before slapping down the big "green" you will be FAR happier from the experience and your little trees could someday become even better then your best stock ;)

Grimmy

But until I know what is what...I am an hour from the nursery. If I had more time allowed maybe. I just didn't today. I gave myself 30 minutes. And a quick walk through. One can pick up pre-bonsai much easier...more of a variety to choose from. I think come spring and I have a class...I'll hopefully have more of an eye for things. Hubby just said he didn't want a house full of trees. So that means...being a bit more selective. ((((Sigh)))) which is fine. Since I will have to take them to be cared for...in June. And for vacations...so twice per year.

Found a bloom of that vine I brought home. Not sure where it came from...I double checked the floor when I left. This is why I am afraid of toxic plants. Things can end up on the ground/floor. I seen no tooth marks so that is good.

I still may air layer...but...it really isn't a substantial branch system

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

It's the transporting them...that is the kicker...even if I had that. We discussed having to take them to the man in Canton when we're doing mission work. I would hate for the house sitter to mess them up. More in the house...the more we have move around.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I too have just learned to really ignore the impulse buy when looking for material. It is hard to do because we are so used to instant gratification in our society, but you will make some purchases that aren't looked at by some as being worth while. It is part of the learning curve. Really try to listen to what the more experienced have to say on this site. They will help keep you headed in the right direction. By the way, just because it says "Yamadori" by my name does not mean that I am in no way defined as "experienced" by bonsai terms.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
What ever with that Mandevilla, I was given two and put them in shallow pots. They are kinda cute. If they don't do anything they will be nice poisonous houseplants. Just curious

Top Bottom