Tale of two repots

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This pair of trees got their first pots this week. The small one is a slippery elm that I picked up at the WNC Bonsai Expo last fall. Although it was in a standard nursery pot, fortunately the fellow I bought it from had placed a circle of 1/2” plywood directly under the roots. So when I slipped it out of the pot there was a nice mat of roots all in the upper couple inches and some stragglers that had grown down below the plywood circle. This made it very easy to repot without disturbing a lot of roots or having to hack off a large circling root or tap root.

The second one is a tall bald cypress (~32”) that came from a nursery in Miss. It too was in a nursery pot and reportedly had been for 3 years. Unfortunately there was no plywood circle, tile, or other restricting device. Consequently when I slipped it out of the pot I had to deal with a bunch of gnarly thick roots that circled the bottom of the pot and were connected to a thick tap too that had not been cut when it was potted up.

This certainly was a good lesson in the value of tiles or similar devices to restrict root growth to a relatively flat zone near the soil surface. I am really glad now that I used a similar approach when I potted up some trident seedlings and used old CDs under them to restrict root growth and cut off the tap root as it expanded. This stuff really works!

C17E08C3-9CD3-4797-8274-5FA767E2E8BB.jpeg1977AD7F-C043-4B2C-94A5-893B5E0AEEC8.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom