Tall and slender one seed juniper

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected this tree last fall. From the moment I collected it, it showed little to no signs of stress, and through this season threw out a ton of new growth, all of which was mature. When I potted it, I actually significantly shallowed the root ball and reduced its circumference. This thing is loaded with roots. Sooooo. I decided to style it as is.

I did the work about a month and a half ago and already, new extensions of 1” plus have pushed, with almost no juvenile growth and the wire has already begun to bite. Which is unfortunate, cause I don’t want to remove it yet. 😂 but will have to. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I line sulfured the Shari and will do so to the jins when I unwire those. Pads need clean up and that’ll happen next early summer depending on how it responds to the spring repot coming.

I played up the elegance of the trunk and the already present Shari.

A few things I may have done different at styling, but I think it’s got a nice future.

Before styling
3B53410D-1898-4E4D-BD0A-B90803AE4F8B.jpeg

After styling.
E0CC462E-2367-4248-B5CE-B14E6C8BB998.jpeg

And today
95CAC261-39AB-4E05-B577-C054A24B7BB8.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
heres my worthless two cents.. very good first styling, very good. I think in time the jin And first branch may go. I say this and still think I probably would have left more due to being chicken and indecisive with the thought to likely remove later anyway So good on you for being decisive. Either way I like this tree and your styling and I can’t say that about the majority of what has been showing up on this forum lately 😁

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good job! I kinda agree on the gin and the first branch, but in a different way. To me the gin is to long and should be let down a bit as it looks parallel with the trunk and also looks to be at the same angle and a continuation of the little live branch to the left.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
heres my worthless two cents.. very good first styling, very good. I think in time the jin And first branch may go. I say this and still think I probably would have left more due to being chicken and indecisive with the thought to likely remove later anyway So good on you for being decisive. Either way I like this tree and your styling and I can’t say that about the majority of what has been showing up on this forum lately 😁
Not worthless at all! Ive been appreciating your work on here for sometime NY! All excellent points. I tend to leave Jin’s long to start and shorten over time. and that first branch may def need to go But i thought id leave it for now and see if it grows on me.

Ive def gotten to the point where i can be almost too decisive and I then think about other ways i could have done something different! I have Been very pleased with my styling lately though as ive been really working at tightening up my design work so these big collected trees ive got have some justice done to them.

Thanks for the kind words though. Means alot. With so many of the old dogs not posting as much, im doing everything I can to fill the vacuum With as nice a trees as i can.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good job! I kinda agree on the gin and the first branch, but in a different way. To me the gin is to long and should be let down a bit as it looks parallel with the trunk and also looks to be at the same angle and a continuation of the little live branch to the left.
Thanks August. Agreed on the Jin and first branch. Time will def tell wether they go or not.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Was able to get this tree into a @Colorado pot about 3 weeks ago. Excellent roots in the time it spent in the flat.
View attachment 484144
dude, im really digging your work, every time i log on for the past few weeks there's another interesting juniper styling on a new tree. Prolific output and high quality stuff!!

I hope to get my hands on some mid sized shimps and kishus to learn and develop an 'eye' like yours for design.......once i make more room in the yard and the budget (im only about a year deep in my nut career and the insanity is real)

It's awesome to see great work that makes me tell myself "damn, i have a LOT to learn" every single time, very inspiring. Major tree envy🐓

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
dude, im really digging your work, every time i log on for the past few weeks there's another interesting juniper styling on a new tree. Prolific output and high quality stuff!!

I hope to get my hands on some mid sized shimps and kishus to learn and develop an 'eye' like yours for design.......once i make more room in the yard and the budget (im only about a year deep in my nut career and the insanity is real)

It's awesome to see great work that makes me tell myself "damn, i have a LOT to learn" every single time, very inspiring. Major tree envy🐓
Thanks for the kind words! I owe so much of it to this site and It’s posters and others I follow on Instagram. I haven’t studied with anyone just yet, but I’m sure my work could be that much better if I did as I also tell myself often that I have a lot to learn.Until then though, I’ll keep pouring through the inter webs.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve made some changes and I worry I made the tree too vanilla in its styling. No dead wood and the live vein just ok. Pad placement may also be a bit to orthodox.

I’m also still trying to decide on angle of viewing. Thoughts?
IMG_6470.jpegIMG_6456.jpeg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I’ve made some changes and I worry I made the tree too vanilla in its styling. No dead wood and the live vein just ok. Pad placement may also be a bit to orthodox.

I’m also still trying to decide on angle of viewing. Thoughts?
View attachment 497618View attachment 497619
I like the second photo better for whatever it is worth. Nice!

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I actually like the first better. The second is nice also, but I feel like the apex needs to be shifted slightly back to the left for a more asymmetric feel from that angle.

Zbunde

Seedling
Reaction score
Beautiful tree - where abouts did you collect? I am from ABQ and go collecting when I visit home. 505! (general area not trying to blow up your spot!) and also is it a Juniperus angosturana (Slender One Seed Juniper) or is it a slender Juniperus monosperma ( slender One Seed Jumiper) lol.

Top Bottom