Tall Literati rework and opinions

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all... This is a tree I have had for a little over 2 years... This year, I redid the whole thing. Picked a new front, which meant turning the tree about 45 degrees and created a different apex. The apex is too young, foliage wise, to really do anything to it except wire it up in place.

I actually, changed some wiring positions since these pics were taken. However, after seeing the first wiring pics, I think like them better, so I will probably be going with my first placement of some of the secondary branches.

Pic 1 is the tree before the work

I would like some input from everyone on which one they like better..Pic 2 and 4 is the first styling and the last pic was with some different manupulation of the sub branching...Mainly the left and right middle branches are broken up into 2 smaller pads.. I think I like the single pads better.. It just seems less chaotic...

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 112.jpg
    pictures2 112.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 114
  • pictures2 002.jpg
    pictures2 002.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 103
  • pictures2 013.jpg
    pictures2 013.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 120
  • pictures2 014.jpg
    pictures2 014.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 114
  • pictures2 043.jpg
    pictures2 043.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 128

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob, vast improvement either way. I see what you mean about it being less chaotic. My taste, would require more foliage in front of that trunk. I always think trees look funny when the whole trunk line is exposed. All in all, great job.

Dave

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Dave... I also, like some foliage in the front on most bonsai. However, this being a literati and less is more (sometimes).. I actually had one of my favorite bonsai, the Kimura literati, in mind when I re-did this one..It is a different tree structural wise, but I tried to get some similar branch structure..My first styling is closer to the kimura tree..Which is pictured below..

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
Hey Oct,

I think the tree looks too vertical, I would plant it at an angle. Also, I would use shari to add movement to the trunk. Finally, I would lower the top of the tree by bending down the apex and I would reduce the foliage a bit more.

JC

Attachments

• Literati final.jpg
    Literati final.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 55

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Juniperus Californica...Normally, with a literati, there is a slant.. However this tree is an almost straight literati..I contemplated a year or 2 ago about giving it the tilt.. However, the tree does not look right becasue of the almsot straight trunk.. It does not have the movement for it...It has just enough of a subtle curve going up the trunk to sustain the top which moves 1/3 to the right.

I do agree with you about pulling the apex down some, but it is a very young area of foliage. Also, cutting it back any more, may compromise the health of that area.. Here is a close up of it.. Notice, the young branchlets are still completely green. I did trim a little bit, but it is probably best if they are left alone to grow freely until they harden off. Then I can cut back..

Sometimes it is tough to tell from pictures. If I saw this tree in pics, I would probably suggest everything that you said.

Attachments

• pictures2 011.jpg
    pictures2 011.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Hey Oct,

You might want to think outside the box on this one - hear me out. I think you need to look for what's not there, e.g. movement & a compact apex, and try to create that. First, you can easily bend these trees and add shari to achieve movement - I don't buy the argument that it's straight and you have to accept that.

Secondly, when I say bend down the apex, I'm not talking about the tip of the tree, I'm talking farther down which will enable you to create a more rounded and compat apex. If you look a Kimura's tree, there is a sudden bend at the apex and the apex is compact. Also, his tree is planted at a slight angle, it is not planted vertically in the pot. This is a nice bunjin and I think you can really improve it with just a few adjustments.

JC

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Juniperus Californica... I do know that you meant about bending just the apex down. I actually pulled it down a bit last night (no pics though) It is a very young branch and it really should not be manipulated until it hardens off a bit more..

As far as the tilt... When I initially repotted this tree 2 years ago, I believe I was going to give it a tilt, very similar to your virt.. at which time, Master Hiromi Tsukada was visiting the nursery and was in the green house and came over to see what I was working on.. Upon looking at the tree tilted, he looked at it for a second and grabbed the tree and tilted it back up into the straight position. He really does not speak english, but he kind of signed for how the base was straight so the rest should follow...

Also, I have tried to manipulate the tree a bit and there was an awful lot of cracking going on. So it might be best to leave it alone.. I believe that the straight trunk is actually makes this tree so different and eye catching...Also, if you study John Naka's teaching, you will see some very similar literati sketches.

All in all, I guess people see different things..Many of the ideas you mentioned, have crossed my mind..In the end though, I believe that this look is what the tree wants...Also, when Master Tsukada offered his opinion about the tree remaining straight, coupled with the fact that the teacher that I have studied with for years is quite fond of this tree, I guess this is what it should be.

Rob

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
:D Heres a tough call, I'd agree w/ Walter on this one Rob.

Wipe off the grin.;) Nice job.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you Walter for the encouragement..Last night I moved the the 2 pads back to how they originally where.

Hello Bill.... How did you know I had a grin..Did you use bonsai esp

Rob

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nothing like that Rob, just been there and know the feeling. The grin is well deserved.

Top Bottom