Tall Pond Cypress Group

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I collected these as seedlings in the mid 90's...they ended up at a friend's house. He put them in a 5 gallon bucket of water for the short-term...well, the short-term turned into more than 10 years. They filled the entire bucket with roots and grew to about 5' tall. One day while visiting I noticed the trees and saw something I liked....so they came home with me:) I've always had a thing for tall trees and I find these very natural looking.

For the last couple of years all I've done is reduce the roots, place the group in a bonsai container(Cochoy), and tried to encourage vigor.

I decided this summer to wire these trees for the first time...here are the results...

Who said anything about a 6 to 1 ratio....this is more like 60 to 1....right at 5' tall in the container.

Enjoy,
John

[video=youtube_share;EPCp4YhHtD0]http://youtu.be/EPCp4YhHtD0[/video]

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is the oddest thing, it looks like leaves from an Elm on the video ? I know Pond Cypress have needle like foliage, similar to the Bald Cypress. Maybe its just the video quality but the group looks more like a group of Elms than pond Cypress too me judging by the foliage while the trunks look all cypress.

ed

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
That is the oddest thing, it looks like leaves from an Elm on the video ? I know Pond Cypress have needle like foliage, similar to the Bald Cypress. Maybe its just the video quality but the group looks more like a group of Elms than pond Cypress too me judging by the foliage while the trunks look all cypress.

ed

I admit the video is not good but if you watch you can plainly see the needle foliage...

Sucks to get old doesn't it Ed...

John

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really nice John - I like this one a lot. Something very natural looking about it. I notice there are a lot of crossing and overlapping roots. Some woud consider it a defect and try and correct. What is your intention? Will you leave them, work on them slowly in subsequent repottings, ar something else?

Scott

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Really nice John - I like this one a lot. Something very natural looking about it. I notice there are a lot of crossing and overlapping roots. Some woud consider it a defect and try and correct. What is your intention? Will you leave them, work on them slowly in subsequent repottings, ar something else?

Scott

I don't think the roots are correctable. So, I'm just going to accentuate what is there and not worry about it...thanks btw
john

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't think the roots are correctable. So, I'm just going to accentuate what is there and not worry about it...thanks btw
john

Nebari issues or no, it is a really beautiful group. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Scott

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Love it! Im all about outside the box, and these are definitely outside the box.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love it! Im all about outside the box, and these are definitely outside the box.

So far outside the box they were in a bucket! LOL

Good stuff John! Thanks for sharing!

The willingness of a tree to live never ceases to amaze me! I know a Pond Cypress is a water loving tree, and something known to grow in all types of crazy environments.. But the notion that a group of trees could live together for about TEN YEARS in an old Five Gallon bucket kind of makes us all look silly for sitting around arguing about which in-organic component mix will produce the best results for our bonsai! Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom