Tall Skinny Ume

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought I had a thread for this tree, but couldn't find. It's come along well from the minimal branching to where it is now. Just wired it and did some reductions. This one seems to put on new branching easy for me. First two pics are a couple years ago, last two are current.
IMG_1056.jpegIMG_1058.jpegIMG_2547.jpgIMG_2553.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sister,
I really like this tree because I am always in love with literati! Did you consider removing the top part, so it can show the downward trunk which creates the interesting trunk line?
447DA6A2-8BF3-4DBA-B42F-2BBC83A1BFE6.jpeg

It is really nice specimen for literati project even though it had some wired marks to which I hope they resolve in the future .
Be safe and strong in Covid-19 time, Sister !
Thụ Thoại

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Barely an issue now and a complete non-issue the trunk and branches bark up a bit more .... go away.
Is it ok to give an honest opinion here? I think all those twisty-turny branches look unnatural for an ume. Just saying, sorry.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Is it ok to give an honest opinion here? I think all those twisty-turny branches look unnatural for an ume. Just saying, sorry.
Nothing wrong with honest opinions... like yours, perhaps. Forsoothe is just being nitpicky... you won't be able to see those scars in 3-5 years.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sister,
I really like this tree because I am always in love with literati! Did you consider removing the top part, so it can show the downward trunk which creates the interesting trunk line?
View attachment 294977

It is really nice specimen for literati project even though it had some wired marks to which I hope they resolve in the future .
Thụ Thoại
Hi Brother, I like your image of this tree, that is from the back of the tree, so I'd have to see how workable it would wind up being. I think I'm going to enjoy the tree as a full one this year, as it gave me such good ramification on the branches, and it will be covered in flowers! But I can see myself backing up to create a simpler tree along these lines after winter bloom. Thank you Thu Thoai for those thoughts, and you also be strong and well during this trying time.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wire marks
The wire marks were there when I got the tree, and it is and will eventually grow out of them. They are not as evident from the front side of the tree. Do you have anything constructive to say?
Barely an issue now and a complete non-issue the trunk and branches bark up a bit more .... go away.
This is actually part of why I'm allowing so much growth on such a spare tree, hoping that the extra branches help with that.
I am not a fan of arrow straight branches, and this tree lends itself well to the twists and turns. You see it's sort of like a dance between the branching and the trunk shape. Not your cup of tea, that's fine, but this tree has a thing that speaks to me (and to others) with the shaping. I have never seen a natural ume not as a bonsai, so you may be right, but bonsai is not about copying directly from nature. It's a personal view into the magic of nature if you want my opinion.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Brother, I like your image of this tree, that is from the back of the tree, so I'd have to see how workable it would wind up being. I think I'm going to enjoy the tree as a full one this year, as it gave me such good ramification on the branches, and it will be covered in flowers! But I can see myself backing up to create a simpler tree along these lines after winter bloom. Thank you Thu Thoai for those thoughts, and you also be strong and well during this trying time.
I like the way you approach this tree.
Thanks Sister. I need your wish ! 😊
Thụ Thoại

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sister,
View attachment 294977

Thụ Thoại

I think anything back inside that frame would be wonderful.

Dig it.

Sorce

Top Bottom