Tall spruce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As collected, best pic I’ve got. Found out in the shade so pretty sparse foliage E3F3F3CD-FF86-45E1-A195-AA2B924F3E61.jpeg

A couple (few?) years later filling out nicely CA91571E-2599-4831-A3A8-DEF5A42E44ED.jpeg

Repotted in one step (unusual for me, it just worked) from massive box to current pot. 4782A98E-5823-4D71-888C-B85721868017.jpegC4E3284B-2637-4411-8E4E-9E9A5DE8F71D.jpeg11E750EF-75F5-4F19-908E-6E6B83E8B57F.jpeg

Last edited:

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last images remind me of Lonely Doug! Looks like it is in good health, and bonus that it fit a pot so easily.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last images remind me of Lonely Doug! Looks like it is in good health, and bonus that it fit a pot so easily.

Lonely Doug is such a cool tree!
Kind of sad how it stands lonely now but that’s probably the only reason we have such good photo views of the tree to look at.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool tree. I like it a lot. I would want to remove the low branch if it was mine. But once it's gone it's gone so maybe good call to leave it for now.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool tree. I like it a lot. I would want to remove the low branch if it was mine. But once it's gone it's gone so maybe good call to leave it for now.

You’re probably right and I consider it. For now I actually plan to grow it out bigger and longer, exaggerate it. Just to see, just for the hell of it. Someday it may be gone or much reduced.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah If the top gets beared, that low low could be a new tree.

I love the straight up stance in the pot.

And I'm happy I waited to comment till daytime pics. Real nice.

This is indoor!

Sorce

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I like this tree also. The bark looks great and the line of the trunk on the front you have chosen is simple and elegant. I’m guessing I’d get rid of the lowest branch as it just doesn’t make sense. Otherwise the branching and foliage still looks young in comparison to the trunk and will be better as you refine it.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this tree also. The bark looks great and the line of the trunk on the front you have chosen is simple and elegant. I’m guessing I’d get rid of the lowest branch as it just doesn’t make sense. Otherwise the branching and foliage still looks young in comparison to the trunk and will be better as you refine it.

Thanks, i hope it will improve over time.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah If the top gets beared, that low low could be a new tree.

I love the straight up stance in the pot.

And I'm happy I waited to comment till daytime pics. Real nice.

This is indoor!

Sorce

Beared, porcupined... you never know.

Funny you should mention the straight up. That is not what I wanted when I potted it, I really wanted a slight lean to the left. There was something about the roots that prevented me from cutting upwards and getting a thinner pad. I forget now what was stopping me but with the thickness I had to work with and the major stuffage of a lotta root the upright was the only option for this first pot-up. It’s grown on me too though, still thinking to give it a hair of a lean over next time, what do you think?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beared, porcupined... you never know.

Funny you should mention the straight up. That is not what I wanted when I potted it, I really wanted a slight lean to the left. There was something about the roots that prevented me from cutting upwards and getting a thinner pad. I forget now what was stopping me but with the thickness I had to work with and the major stuffage of a lotta root the upright was the only option for this first pot-up. It’s grown on me too though, still thinking to give it a hair of a lean over next time, what do you think?

I love it. But you'll do it right. Or fix it later!

A lot would depend on the angle of that hated branch after the fact.
Love that too!

I believe if kept short, it will add more realism, more taper, close foliage.
A mind virt proves it.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did the top too.Capture+_2019-08-05-22-12-36~2.png

Makes what Ryan says about an out in out canopy side line ring true.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
, too fat anyways.

Ha! I love that you feel that cuz so many people don't care! Those are the details that will keep most western bonsai from ever reaching tens of thousands of dollar prices...or at least I hope so!

That is envelope pushing...I like it!

The tuft? No no i did not!
Sweet!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh I love this tree and the straight upness.

A MM or 2 leftmore in the pot may precise it up.

What I really love is how those low branches connect (visually) with the base, but the "feature" or " guiding" or whats it called? The first branch is still up there on the left.

The apex forward and right a bit.

Really subtle motions that makes that straight stance so grand!

Bravo!

You keep having my favorite trees on here!

Sorce

Top Bottom