Tall Torulosa..Chop it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Until you show me a diverse group of nishiki and/or yatsubusa form of any other (even American) pine I respectfully disagree. Still king just based on the unbelievable amount of diversity in the cultivars alone.quote]

Absolutely, Graydon! Those things may come in time as more folk cultivate native North American pine species, using witches' brooms, etc. to come up with the variations, but at this time, not so much. I don't doubt there is a tremendous amount of undeveloped potential in North American species of any kind.

However, there are those who downplay the years of research and experience already available to those who would work with Japanese black pine. Who knows the reasons? We could speculate but not much is served thereby. I just know they are very predictable, and can handle my extremes of temperature and weather just fine. So I like working with them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Until you show me a diverse group of nishiki and/or yatsubusa form of any other (even American) pine I respectfully disagree. Still king just based on the unbelievable amount of diversity in the cultivars alone.

I will completely agree as to your theory of collectibility and therefore traceable linage of the various cultivars of JBP, not to mention the stately old collected ones. And unlike the collected to extinction shimpaku I bet there are still some great ones in the wild in Japan.

I'm glad we are in agreement of collectibility.

Modern cultivars aside, could you share what you see as being superior traits of the Japanese Black Pine?

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm glad we are in agreement of collectibility.

Modern cultivars aside, could you share what you see as being superior traits of the Japanese Black Pine?

Will

Modern cultivars? Who said anything about them being modern? As far as the traits... I do believe it would be easier to unthrone them by listing the inferior traits. You will need to go first as I have none.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I assumed as much, thanks anyway Graydon.

Have a Happy Holiday Season and Merry Christmas. :)

On Vacation for a few days......

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah but I assumed that you would assume as much... so Merry Christmas to you too Will!

Top Bottom