Tallest American beech clump

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
While on my outdoor adventures I came across this wonderful thing.
0409170956.jpg

While it has flaws, it's a thing of beauty in its own right. It had a ridculous tap root but over all a flat and good root spread.
0409171141.jpg
0409171141a.jpg

I planted it on a composite board and used a 4 point wire tie down to keep it on there. I need to get moss but for now, after 4 hours of work I'm done. Its 42" tall from the top of the soil line and it has a long way to go but I love it alot!
0409171808.jpg 0409171809a.jpg 0409171809b.jpg 0409171809c.jpg

Just crappy cellphone shots but let's see what it looks like after 10 years.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope it grows well, I walk through beautiful beech forests everyday. I love em!

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know, they're always beutifully ugly starting out

That first pic in the ground, I said to myself: "Oh how nice. Some inspirational material."

Then I looked closer and saw that you were actually digging.

I sez to myself: "THE MADMAN! HE DID IT!"

But really, at a glance, I didn't notice the saw on the ground providing scale. I thought this was A LOT bigger at first. I suppose, that's the point and what will make it so nice!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That first pic in the ground, I said to myself: "Oh how nice. Some inspirational material."

Then I looked closer and saw that you were actually digging.

I sez to myself: "THE MADMAN! HE DID IT!"

But really, at a glance, I didn't notice the saw on the ground providing scale. I thought this was A LOT bigger at first. I suppose, that's the point and what will make it so nice!

Yeah it's a biggin, and once I move it will make a nice center piece. It will look better next re-pot as of right now as the amazing nebari is covered up to help new roots form. Once I get more buds I can reduce tunks(different hieghts) and get things where they need to be. But I have a master plan in place already for this one

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Whatcha doing with the highlighted part?

Attachments

• beech.jpg
    beech.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 63

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Whatcha doing with the highlighted part?

That's just another trunk, things will be wired, guide wired, and sorted down the road, but for now this work can't be done as it was just collected

Last edited:

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's just another trunk, thing will be wired, guide wired, and sorted down the road, but for now this work can't be done as it was just collected

Oh c'mon. It's just one small trunk.

-Devil on your shoulder

Lionheart

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Got crispy in this 106 heat, oh well"

I've got one a lot like this. It was collected in February. Once the weather got warm it leafed out OK, but then like yours got crispy from too much sun/heat. So I moved it to a partially sunny spot, and it now seems to have just stalled. It has not died, but has also not put out anything new in a month or two. Am I not giving it enough light? Thanks in advance!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wind and heat are two hateful things to beech when they are trying to recover from work. I love your clump, I missed this when you posted the collection, so am excited to see what you are doing. Very cool.

Top Bottom