Tama Hime

Clip

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My best tree is a Tama Hime that I have had for about 25 years. I have largely just been pinching back for many years, but want to do some reshaping this coming year. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate some feedback on:
1. I understand that the natural form for this cultivar is to grow wide and low. I have certainly observed this as the overall form looks like a lenticular cloud and any "apex" seems to lose vigor. I am planning to shorten some of the long horizontal branches and want to take air layers off to accomplish this. I am familiar with air layering, but am unsure if the Tama Hime will do well on its own roots. A previous thread seemed to indicate that it would, just looking for any seconds on that. If it won't, I am going to give grafting to some generic seedlings I have been growing a try.
2. There were some major branches broken and die back due to a vacation heatwave/watering issue years ago and while new branches grew from those points in the structure the tree developed large calluses that do not taper nicely (see picture example). I have been considering some measured reduction in the callus with proper sealing to try to get a smaller callus. Any thoughts on if this will work or how I should approach it?
3. I have one root that crosses over another root at the base (see picture). Do you think I can safely cut this root back? I want to cut it back far enough to not cross, but maybe not all the way to the trunk. Should I cut it in stages? I need to repot this year.

Thanks, John

Attachments

• Tama Hime Branch 1-22.jpg
    Tama Hime Branch 1-22.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Tama Hime Root 1-22.jpg
    Tama Hime Root 1-22.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 85

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey, welcome aboard BonsaiNut!

Gosh, so sorry this slipped by everyone.

Tama Hime is a good bonsai cultivar. Known for being able to reduce internode, leaf size etc. . It is somewhat smallish as a older tree, but that won’t be an issue at all. Just go for a smaller tree size tree.

Sorry to say this, but what you have is three trees. A Japanese Maple rootstock and two or more potential Tama Himes, one off each branch…. at least. There is so much damage it seems the best thing to do is start by air laying up high for a couple new trees, then work your way down with more if possible. Leave any suckers off the area below the graft. They may be a potential valuable part of the beginnings of a new tree using the base.

Btw, feel free to cut off the offending root. Personally I cut 1/2 way, cut paste, then wait till late fall early winter To finish the cut. Others might say to just to it in one shot.

Good Luck. Be sure to post on this thread your progress over time.

Cheers
DSD sends

Clip

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
DSD,
Thank you for the welcome and the input! As some background I was into bonsai in the early 90s, then my job changed and I had to come to the realization that bonsai and being on travel all of the time didn't align. Most of my surviving trees went in the ground and a couple like this one went in very large pots. As a result of COVID I am in a telework status and it looks like it will remain that way until retirement, so I can once again work on bonsai.:)

Yes, that would be a small tree for the age, but that was just one branch. It is a grafted tree. I have attached some quick pictures that show the overall tree and the trunk (a little distorted). I know the crown is a mess and so that is where I intend to focus. I have thought about a major cut back and regrow of the crown. I will be taking some of the branches off by layering this year.

Sounds good on the root, I will cut it back.

I will post updates.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• Tama Hime Overall Jan 2022.jpg
    Tama Hime Overall Jan 2022.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Tama Hime Front Jan 2022.jpg
    Tama Hime Front Jan 2022.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 43

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those photos give a much better look at the situation. There is no doubt this tree ramifies really well and makes an elegant bonsai maple.

Still are some areas where it might be wise imho, now that you have less commuting time, to air layer and get a couple vibrant younger’s trees that would be nice for your collection, or as trade bait.

Looking forward to seeing this tree progress.

cheers
DSD (John) sends

Top Bottom