Tamarack Pre-Bonsai Specimens

Nomad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
First time putting pictures up here, and I chose to put up my prebonsai tamaracks. With the nice weather and I just pulled out the tamaracks so... Anyways I was kinda anxious and didn't quite clean them up but I pulled out all the litter and stuff after the pictures were taken.

Larches are my favorite bonsai as a whole (although a well done Ezo is a close second), and I was pleased to have these four in my soon-to-be bonsai collection. They seem as though they have a lot of potential. All were collected within about 50 feet or so from each other, if that seems interesting to you.

IMG_20150414_151716452.jpg

^Collected spring 2013. I like the idea of a leaning shohin. Ramification is just starting and will look quite good with a nicer, thicker trunk.

IMG_20150414_152139.jpg

^Collected Spring 2013. Has an interesting classical sort of look, but I'm still up in the air on my approach. Needs refinement. Second trunk halfway is unique and I'll have to consider what to do with it. Trunk itself is quite skinny.

IMG_20150414_152239.jpg

^Collected Spring 2014. What attracted me so much to this was the very grotesque style. A crossed trunk style isnt usually attempted because of its stereotypical lack of form, and I haven't seen any recently really, but I feel it could work. Sure I could be really aggressive and turn it into a classical bonsai, but this has a unique natural line. Its quite ambitious for my level of experience but I am somewhat optimistic. This picture doesn't really do it justice but it shows the most detail. It still needs a good deal of refinement and ramification but I'm quite excited to see how it comes out.

IMG_20150414_151032042.jpg

^Collected spring 2014. Had no trimming whatsoever. It has a natural sort of windswept look and ramification will be an interesting shohin.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice, that last one is amazing. I have a buddy who has some Pines he collected that are set up nicely for the windswept look. Keep us updated with pics and progression!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good of you to post up your plants, I do like the last one with the interesting mirroring of the movement.
:)

Nomad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks! The last one has a real sense of movement that the picture only touches on. Very promising! A few years of ramification and trunk exercises and they'll be looking pretty decent.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice "digs" ;) Two and three are the ones I would not mind working at their current size. Thanks for sharing.

Grimmy

Nomad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice "digs" ;) Two and three are the ones I would not mind working at their current size. Thanks for sharing.

Grimmy
Yeah #3 is the biggest and most mature of the bunch but needs ramification. Like all of them I am really happy to have it and can't wait to start working them over the next couple years.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool little Tammys. These will thicken up pretty fast for you if you put them in much larger containers. Then put the water and fertilizer to them and let them grow. Like these could be close to an inch in diameter in a year.

Nomad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool little Tammys. These will thicken up pretty fast for you if you put them in much larger containers. Then put the water and fertilizer to them and let them grow. Like these could be close to an inch in diameter in a year.
Thanks and thats some encouraging advice! What kind of fertilizer do you recommend? I should start that after their needles are full too, but should I repot now?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repot as soon as you see green in the buds. I use miracle grow at 5 times the amount once per week. Saturdays.
You will need to repot these every year. They grow roots like there in no tomorrow. Can get 2 feet of growth in a year. Once you have them where you want them you put it in a smaller pot to restrict the roots.
Also there was a member here who defoliates them to promote ramification and needle reduction. I think he left if what I'm reading is true. He knows tamaracks better than I do. But it seems as if he has a temper problem and left us.

Last edited:

Nomad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Repot as soon as you see green in the buds. I use miracle grow at 5 times the amount once per week. Saturdays.
You will need to repot these every year. They grow roots like there in no tomorrow. Can get 2 feet of growth in a year. Once you have them where you want them you put it in a smaller pot to restrict the roots.
Also there was a member here who defoliates them to promote ramification and needle reduction. I think he left if what I'm reading is true. He knows tamaracks better than I do. But it seems as if he has a temper problem and left us.
Sounds like a plan I should get around to that this weekend. The sunshine to be waking up the trees the past few days!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The buds on mine are swelling,so it won't be long here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. I want some!

Sorce

Top Bottom