Tamarack taper

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just collected this 4 days ago. It's one of 5 that I dug up. I've looked at lots of tamaracks this year and this one has the coolest base so far.
So what do you guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_20140420_173006_424.jpg
    IMG_20140420_173006_424.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 129

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I like the base def. A tuff one to say chop here or there. What about the first large branch to the left as the new leader? Then carve some taper into the right side down to the base? Just a thought of course. Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just collected this 4 days ago. It's one of 5 that I dug up. I've looked at lots of tamaracks this year and this one has the coolest base so far.
So what do you guys think.
Can't tell squat without seeing pictures from other sides but I'd say leave it alone and let it grow. If you find a branch to move up for a new leader tie it up as close to trunk as possible without breaking it and let it grow. It's going to take a number of years to develop taper on this one.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like it. No chop for me on this one...just deadwood carving on the top and proper wiring of the new growth.

Good luck!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So what is the story on the holley yellow Valvoline can? ;)

I need to know how you perforated it.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

clearly a homemade colander using a drill bit. Some do this to mica pots, which I dont understand, but getting air to the roots is the end game, I feel pretty sure of.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I bet you were thinking shotgun weren't you?
The thought did cross my mind for expediency's sake but just a drill bit was used. I've got a bunch of 3 and 5 gallon buckets cut down and all drilled up to put trees in. I also use collanders but sometimes trees are too large for collanders so I use these. I've been using these for years. And they last forever also. That one is probably over 10 years old.

Top Bottom