Tamarind (tamarindus indicus) Cuttings

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi,

Just bought a tamarind tree about 6' tall and about 3/4" diameter base. I intend to chop it down to about 6", but would like to know if I can get a couple more trees from cuttings or even "quick" air-layers.

Thanks in advance

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spent quite a while digging around on the internet and there doesn't really seem to be a final answer. Quite a few sites said no on the cuttings, some said they work fine. Air layering seemed to be an agreed upon vegetative propagation method. If you take some cuttings let us know how they work out.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a tamarind tree about 6' tall and about 3/4" diameter base. I intend to chop it down to about 6", but would like to know if I can get a couple more trees from cuttings or even "quick" air-layers.

Thanks in advance

Where are your pictures to show us this tree?:D
Irene

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Irene,

There is not a particular interesting thing about this tree, it is a very skinny 6' tall tree. Not worth the photo... yet:)

Grog,

Thanks for the info, that is in line with what I've seen... although, there is this post in BT from somebody who received a tamarind "cutting":
http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/f14/tamarind-cutting-4788.html

It looks like a fairly sizable cutting.

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Tamarind cutting

Well, it was worth trying. These are four cuttings in a 6" bonsai pot since it is was the smaller pot at hand. One of my worries is that these cuttings spend a lot of energy by opening and closing the leaves when the sun comes and goes. They will be in the shade until they root.

Attachments

• tamarind_cuttings_apr_2007.jpg
    tamarind_cuttings_apr_2007.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 102

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got a word from another bonsai enthusiast (pdbbonsai) from another forum who has done Tamarind hardwood cuttings, and told me that he had done one successfully by simply putting it in sand and keeping the water low and the soil almost dry with the purpose of letting the cutting strike the roots on its own in the search for water. Although he didn't use them in his cutting, he suggested using rooting hormone to help along the process.

Reaction score
Hi,

Onlyrey, do you have any developments of your tamarind project? Please, and somo photos would be nice.

Regards, Rui

From Portugal

bumblebee

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have had 100% success with taking hardwood cutting and sticking them rifght in the same pot as the mother tree. Kept wet.

Top Bottom