Tamarindus indica, next steps....

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m a little envious of your climate that you can just go out and buy these and other species that I have to grow from seed because that’s all there is😂😂😂.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m a little envious of your climate that you can just go out and buy these and other species that I have to grow from seed because that’s all there is😂😂😂.
I'm envious (more than a little) of your location, where you can order online any kind of bonsai (none can be delivered to the Canary Islands). :D:D:D.

Yesterday, I felt too lazy to research for myself on this species as bonsai. I thought it was a popular species. But after some searching, I've found resources (mostly from asia and south america), and I have now a clear idea on what my next steps are gonna be.
I will not chop this time. Just wire it strongly (this species can hold a lot of bending) and try to style it my way.
I will be learning on it, and will try to be careful, not to ruin it 😆

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm envious (more than a little) of your location, where you can order online any kind of bonsai (none can be delivered to the Canary Islands). :D:D:D.
wanna swap? your sunshine over my rain and wind any day! 🤣🤣😅.

Good to know they are bendy! Mine is still just a tiny seedling. I’d definitely vote for bending rather than a chop if you can get away with it without too much scaring.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I finally decided to chop. I repotted, wired, and chopped it in the second branch level: (not that I defoliated, it had lost all the leaves)

IMG_20220518_195637.jpg

After a time with some panic included (and some rearranging of the bends in the two branches), it begun to bud, (even in the main trunk), and today it looks like this :

IMG_20220622_183207.jpg

I'm coming to like the bark, and hope for a leaf reduction in the future.....

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Chop any where you want. Stick the cutting in moist soil and it will grow again.

Top Bottom