Tamarix gallica

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi my Nellie,
It is very nice.
Some suggestions:
1- If you want to keep one trunk, then you should cut off other trunk now.
2- It will need a lot of fertilizer and water
3- You may need to change its soil yearly
4- If you want the root surface is better, let the suckers from the root run long about 40 cm, then completely remove them. You may have to do this few times a year.
Good luck.
Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@bonhe thank you for your suggestions.
1- If you want to keep one trunk, then you should cut off other trunk now.
The deadwood is soft. I didn't expect it to be like that. I need to treat it accordingly after the carving work.
On the contrary, new wood which I started carving is harder.
What do you think of deadwood hardness on your own trees?

2- It will need a lot of fertilizer and water
The seller has used chicken manure in the pot. I also use organic fertilizer (in pellets and fish emulsion)
I water once a day (for the time being) and it seems OK.
When the weather will get more hot it will need more water of course.

3- You may need to change its soil yearly
That's for sure!
The seller suggested to repot the tree next spring. So, next year I will also intend to change the substrate mixture.
I drilled more holes around the bottom perimeter of the pot and I realized there are roots down there already.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Although the title of this thread is "for Bonhe to see" (because he has asked me to show my Tamarix) nevertheless every suggestion coming from everyone is always appreciated and thank you in advance :)

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here are the blossoms :)
Almost white with a light hint of rose colour. Ethereal!
Plus they have a slight suspicion of imperceptible fragrance reminding that of bitter almond.

Tamarix_.JPG Tamarix.JPG

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks Bonhe!

I removed the lower trunk and started carving the wood.

tamarix_b.JPG Before and after eliminating the branch/trunk tamarix_a.JPG
Needs a lot more work but I think it's better now.
I have also cut off enough new shoots. This tree is so very funny, it sends new buds all over!

... ...4- If you want the root surface is better, let the suckers from the root run long about 40 cm, then completely remove them. You may have to do this few times a year.
No suckers/sprouts from the roots so far.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not at all My Nellie.
It looks much better now.
Yes, you need to remove all the new shoots on the trunk or branches except some, wherever you want to have new branches there.
Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Tamarix grows aggressively! Yes, it does!
Was collected end of 2017 and came to my ownership last May 2018. The plastic bowl/pot was placed on to a jardinière and a couple of weeks ago I tried to remove the bowl in order to wire some branches. Well, what do you think? Roots had escaped into the soil of the jardinière! Strangely those roots were so stiff like wire!
IMG_8396.JPG Here are some of them.

Some days ago the Tamarix treated me with mushrooms and a pine seedling!
IMG_8448.JPG IMG_8444.JPG

I decided to slip pot the tree into a large enough bonsai pot. The seedling had to be removed and put into a small pot. I don't have great hopes that it will survive...
So, here it is the Tamarix as of now.
IMG_8449.JPG IMG_8454.JPG

I have carving work to do with the apex stump and I also need to shorten the lower dead branch. One or two branches have to go, too.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just pushing tiny green foliage.
View attachment 230861

Branches were selected and wired.
And still pending since the above last post : I have carving work to do with the apex stump and I also need to shorten the lower dead branch.

very nice Nellie, i like it! i have access to some of these and have been contemplating trying one for a while.
have you seen the mirai stream on spooky style tamarix? worth a watch. he talks about rather than just wiring and drooping all the branches in one big arc, try to get a few arcs in one branch, he described the approach like making downward 'steps'

i can see what Ryan is talking about in this wild tamarix
egypt-tamarix-tree-small-valley-arabian-desert-14173054.jpg

old-tamarisk-tamarix-africana-at-kouremenos-beach-near-palekastro-eastern-crete-greece-X79762.jpg

can you see what i mean?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
very nice Nellie, i like it! i have access to some of these and have been contemplating trying one for a while.
have you seen the mirai stream on spooky style tamarix? worth a watch. he talks about rather than just wiring and drooping all the branches in one big arc, try to get a few arcs in one branch, he described the approach like making downward 'steps'

i can see what Ryan is talking about in this wild tamarix
egypt-tamarix-tree-small-valley-arabian-desert-14173054.jpg

old-tamarisk-tamarix-africana-at-kouremenos-beach-near-palekastro-eastern-crete-greece-X79762.jpg

can you see what i mean?
If you look in Naka’s Bonsai Techniques, he describes how to achieve that, as well.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bobby, thank you for your interest.
Is this a free streaming in Mirai of is it for members?
... ...can you see what i mean?
Yes, of course!
@bonhe Tuan was so very generous as to pass me some sketches of his teacher Mr. Richard Ota concerning the creation of a Tamarix bonsai out of a hardwood cutting.
Did you ever happen to see Mr. Ota's well known Tamarix? Here it is :
tamarix_Richard Ota .jpg

Here in the following photo you can see that I already have created the first arch in some branches. Look at the red circles.
But I have not cut off the main branch because I want it to thicken more. It will be cut to the yellow line after I am happy with its girth.
Tamarix (2) - Copy.JPG
I hope I will manage to come to a satisfactory outcome.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bobby, thank you for your interest.
Is this a free streaming in Mirai of is it for members?
Yes, of course!
@bonhe Tuan was so very generous as to pass me some sketches of his teacher Mr. Richard Ota concerning the creation of a Tamarix bonsai out of a hardwood cutting.
Did you ever happen to see Mr. Ota's well known Tamarix? Here it is :
View attachment 230866

Here in the following photo you can see that I already have created the first arch in some branches. Look at the red circles.
But I have not cut off the main branch because I want it to thicken more. It will be cut to the yellow line after I am happy with its girth.
View attachment 230867
I hope I will manage to come to a satisfactory outcome.

nice one Nellie, love the inspirational tamarix you posted, i think that is pretty spot on. i think you're on the right track, carry on what you are doing and keep us updated:)

ps i wouldnt get rid of all the forks though, if you look at the inspiration tree many of the branches fork into two while still maintaining the staggered arc. you need the forks for ramification so bear that in mind too

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Really nice, impressed by how nicely this tree has come along in a short period of time. Well done.

To my eye the arc's wired into the most current image are a bit ''tight'', I would let them be a little looser, so the branche ends fall to a wider circle, rather than just about landing back in the pot. Just a thought.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for your comments.
Really nice, impressed by how nicely this tree has come along in a short period of time. Well done.
They are very easy to grow and bud back on old wood all over the tree/trunk.
To my eye the arc's wired into the most current image are a bit ''tight'', I would let them be a little looser, so the branche ends fall to a wider circle, rather than just about landing back in the pot. Just a thought.
I understand what you mean and appreciate your view. I think that the perimeter of the canopy will get wider upon adding each new arc... or at least this is what I am aiming for :)
However, the wiring should be done very early or else the branches become so very stiff that they will snap.

Top Bottom