Tamarix

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tell us more about this one. It doesn't look nice when young. Does it interesting
It was from cutting with trunk diameter was about 0.5 cm. It used to be displayed a few times in Nanpu Kai bonsai show in the past.
Thụ Thoại

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That tree is so awesome Thu. You must of had a great time working with Mr. Ota. We have a tree from Mr Richard Ota at the museum here.

I thought Mr. Ota was originally focused on satsuki’s from a number of articles I’ve seen and his joint book he published. Yet at some point he jumped from satsuki’s to other trees. Was this just varying interests, or did something else cause his shift in focus?

cheers
DSD sends

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That tree is so awesome Thu. You must of had a great time working with Mr. Ota. We have a tree from Mr Richard Ota at the museum here.

I thought Mr. Ota was originally focused on satsuki’s from a number of articles I’ve seen and his joint book he published. Yet at some point he jumped from satsuki’s to other trees. Was this just varying interests, or did something else cause his shift in focus?

cheers
DSD sends
Thank you very much for your kind words. Yes, I have been with my teacher since 2007.
He told me the story of selling his tamarix to Pacific Bonsai Museum. I am very glad that tree is still doing fine there.
And thank you for asking this interesting question. Yes, he used to be the first one introducing satsuki to Southern California bonsai community many years ago when he still had bonsai nursery in Orange County. He told me he used to know more than 100 kinds of satsuki and used to be a judge for satsuki bonsai shows. He said at that time, so many people bought satsuki for bonsai. Gradually, the satsuki bonsai was fading away due to its sickness and death. Later on, people here recognized satsuki was not suitable for Southern California dry, hot climate. Only one of his student, Mr. Ohara, living in Riverside was able to raise satsuki bonsai successfully. I came to Mr. Ohara's house. His garden had over 100 beautiful satsuki all kinds. Very beautiful and amazing!!!!
Because of loss of interesting in satsuki, Mr. Ota changed his focus to other trees which are pomegranate, crabapple, and tamarix. I can say he is an expert in these! I am very lucky to be inherited his knowledge. He is turning to 96 years old this month. We just celebrated his soon to be birthday yesterday.
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom