Tanuki

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I made this Tanuki last year. This is something that Ive never done and thought it would be a fun project. I had found this piece of Manzanita driftwood on a hike quite a few years ago and thought it would make for a perfect phoenix graft. The Juniper whip is from a Kishu cutting I took a while back and allowed to grow out. The deadwood already had a perfect channel for the whip so I didn't need to carve one. I attached the deadwood to a rock and secured it to this pond basket. Then I screwed the whip to the base of the deadwood and zip tied the rest.
The plan is to let the leader just run as a sacrifice in order to thicken the base and fill in the gap between the channel and the "live vein". The tree itself will be below the deadwood telling a story of a tree that was once bigger but had died back long ago. Let me know if you have any suggestions 😊
IMG_20200118_084949.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you could find screws with smaller heads than the one used at the base of the tree, the fine screws (some recommend brass screws) will be completely covered by the growing trunk over time. They will work better than the zip ties. The zip ties will leave flattened marks on the trunk as the trunk expands to the point where fusion is beginning to take place.

The blunt end of the driftwood looks man cut - sawed. I would have worked that blunt end to something more jagged before assembling the tanuki.

But all in all, a pleasant combo. It will be cool to see how it develops.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you could find screws with smaller heads than the one used at the base of the tree, the fine screws (some recommend brass screws) will be completely covered by the growing trunk over time. They will work better than the zip ties. The zip ties will leave flattened marks on the trunk as the trunk expands to the point where fusion is beginning to take place.

The blunt end of the driftwood looks man cut - sawed. I would have worked that blunt end to something more jagged before assembling the tanuki.

But all in all, a pleasant combo. It will be cool to see how it develops.
Thanks Leo. I'll get some screws and replace what is there. As far as the top is concerned, I agree. I intend to reduce the thickness so it's not only less blunt but also is in better proportion.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you considering inlaying more of the whip? Looks like enough to go around back and come out on this side again right at the bend behind Mr. Lizard. Several branches pop out of the trunk forming your canopy. Hey, just mindscaping here, but I could see that.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Are you considering inlaying more of the whip? Looks like enough to go around back and come out on this side again right at the bend behind Mr. Lizard. Several branches pop out of the trunk forming your canopy. Hey, just mindscaping here, but I could see that.
No. I had considered it, but I feel that the tree works better as a smaller one that is the remnant of a once larger tree. The deadwood 's interest lies in the topmost portion. I wanted to feature that without obscuring it with foliage. I also feel that would result in a very long ribbon of live vein in proportion to the tree and wouldn't be as believable.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it certainly looks great and I look forward to seeing future development. Maybe this year I'll bust a move and get to doing one myself. Always inspiring to see a work in progress.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the chosen front! It’s nice to actually see the “live vein” or live portion of the tree, as opposed to it being hidden by the deadwood entirely.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Coming along. I may end up making one of the branches back by the "lizard's arm" the top and cutting back the current leader significantly. Right now I'm still trying to thicken the trunk to fill in the channel where the whip was inserted. You'll notice I got a backbud way down on the trunk. I'm going to let this run for a few years to thicken the base. It will ultimately be a sacrifice but I may do some jinning on it to tie in the Phoenix graft to to the deadwood.
1112201219.jpg

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool project. I wonder what type of wood one needs in order to keep the long term viability of such a tree?

Top Bottom