Tanuki

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
0226221810a.jpg
I need to do some serious thinning and wiring on it. It grew well last year. I've been working on trees quite a bit lately (repotting, wiring, styling, grafting, etc.) I just haven't posted anything on the site in a long while. Thanks for the likes. I think this will be a nice Tanuki at some point.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One way or another hanging dead branch should stay exposed. Has great movement/is valuable deadwood☺️.
Yes. I'm definitely going to keep that visible. It's a nice feature of the deadwood. It has become almost completely engulfed in foliage since last year but with some thinning and wiring I'll expose it again.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Was the base of the deadwood treated to prevent rot?
Yes. I treated it with PC Petrifier. I also built a "dam" out of a small plastic pot (kind of how people use them to air layer) that I put on the base to keep damp soil from being in direct contact with the deadwood.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very cool project. I wonder what type of wood one needs in order to keep the long term viability of such a tree?
You need something very hard and most likely evergreen. Deciduous trees tend to rot more readily. Juniper deadwood is quite rot resistant because of the resins Junipers produce.

Top Bottom