Tanuki

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a good pic of my only Tanuki. Thought I would share.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
oops forgot the pic

Attachments

• pictures2 132.jpg
    pictures2 132.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 151

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
looks great! is it natural or did you do it? I dont really know much about this subject sorry if my question is silly.

Will B.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Will.. Actually, a very good question. This was created in a workshop by my teacher and I last season. A tanuki or phoenix graft refers to when you take a young, live tree and attach it to a piece of driftwood. From there, you train the live portion of the tree into a bonsai like composition. The driftwood can come from anywhere..beach, back yard etc... Phoenix grafts are illusions. They are meant to look like really old bonsai. Phonix grafts are sometimes looked down upon in the bonsai world and almost never allowed in bonsai competitions. This is my only one. I like it very much, but I always tell people that is is a Tanuki and not a "real" bonsai.

Rob

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
well its living isnt it? therefore its real. you could say the same about all bonsai because isnt it our goal to make our trees look old? we do numerous things in this art to portray age. i dont think it should be looked down on because in reality from what ive heard its hard to tell the age of a tree due to many factors that affect trees. its kind of a shame because i really like this tree no matter the techniques. if they say the reason is cheating then everything we do to portray age is pretty much cheating....doesnt add up to me.......anyways sorry about that.....thanks for posting this BONSAI, which it is, its beautiful!

jmuzzey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you have a done a beautiful job with this tree. Wether it is a pheonix graft, carving deadwood, root over rock, creating jins and sharis, etc., the only thing that truly matters is if you like it or not. But I, for one, am happy that you shared this photo, the driftwood/deadwood is awesome on this tree, and it is styled very nicely, thanks for sharing.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks nice october. If I remember correctly, I think you have mentioned in other posts that you get your material from NEBGs? Is that true?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments

Hello tmmason10.. Correct. I do get about 95% of my material at New England Bonsai Gardens. The piece of driftwood and young tree came from there as well. I actually worked there for an entire season, 2 seasons ago. It is an incredible nursery with thousands and thousands of trees.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks everyone for the comments

Hello tmmason10.. Correct. I do get about 95% of my material at New England Bonsai Gardens. The piece of driftwood and young tree came from there as well. I actually worked there for an entire season, 2 seasons ago. It is an incredible nursery with thousands and thousands of trees.

Ok thought so. I actually asked if they needed help and am going to check back in when it's springtime. Thinking about joining John's school did you do that?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have not joined John's school. However, I have been a student of his for the last 5-6 years. I have been involved with bonsai for about 12 years. John is a good teacher who is very patient and passionate about what he does.

Rob

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Rob , I have two DEAD cal junipers that I'm determined to bring back to life with some shimp whips I have. Questions are :
1. how did you prepere the dead wood ( preservative mostly )
2. What time of year was this workshop ? I'm planning to do mine in the spring.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Dwight.. Well, unfortunately, the driftwoodwood that was available for the workshop was not treated. However, next season, I am planning on unscrewing the brass screws and seperating the tree from the drift wood. At which point, the wood and the young tree will probably be seperated for one season. I plan on first letting the piece of driftwood dry out thouroughly. Then I will lime sulfur the entire piece. After that dries, I will soak the whole piece in some sort of wood hardened for a few days. Then, the following season I will reattach the tree.

I believe the workshop was in early summer. This Tanuki is almost 1 1/2 years old and the wood has held up pretty well. I have debated about finding a new piece of wood and treating it. This way, when I repot, I will have everything all set. However, the compostion of this whip and wood works very well together. So I am planning on doing all the work and leaving them apart for a season to achieve this composition again.

Rob

Top Bottom