Tanyosho JRP - box store find

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Went to Sams Club today (for those not familiar, it's the Costco type store associated with Walmart). They had a few sad looking landscape plants on a pallet island in the middle of the parking lot. Leftovers from spring. They had a half dozen 3 gallon containers with what I thought was dwarf mugo for $6.81 each. Upon closer inspection, the tags said "Tanyosho pine" so of course I looked up tanyosho pine bonsai on my phone, saw a few examples and thought "Ok - for six bucks what the heck". Nice fat 2" or so trunks and nice healthy budding and needle growth. When I went out to pick one up after shopping inside, the cart guy said "just take a couple - these are the last and will be dead soon."

Fast forward to home, I unwrapped the first one and tugged it out of the pot. Hidden under the needles and duff was what is left of burlap wrapping and string. It had disintegrated and become mostly part of the soil ball. Ah, the soil. Top layer is sandy loam, inside is hard packed solid clay. I saw nice white root tips poking out here and there but there was no way I was going to let these trees stay in that horrible clay. After careful removal, I was left with a surprisingly small rootball that easily fit pond baskets.

Next, to clean out the nasty duff up in the branches, remove a bunch of spindly dead stuff, pull all the growth up, and give them a good watering and wash. One seems to want to be relatively upright, while the other wants to lean (although I think it needs to rotate 180 degrees on its trunk axis at its next repotting). I didn't remove more than 3-4 branchlets that had green on them. I figure I will leave them to grow a little.

The foliage is spectacular, nice short needles - even the 2nd year needles are short. I can see being able to wire the branching into a couple of pleasing shapes. 2 nice fat trunks for six bucks - can't beat that!

Attachments

• tanyosho-JRP-1-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-1-web.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 118
  • tanyosho-JRP-2-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-2-web.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 115
  • tanyosho-JRP-3-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-3-web.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 127
  • tanyosho-JRP-4-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-4-web.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 126
  • tanyosho JRP fredtruck.jpg
    tanyosho JRP fredtruck.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 106

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
part 2 and a surprise

These images are of the 2 trees in baskets, during and after some duff removal and minor dead branch cleanup. I'm not satisfied with the 2nd tree - before I put it in the basket the trunk suggested a lean like this but it seems weird now. I don't want to disturb the roots so I will let it go and change it at next repot. The virt is how I see manipulating the branches through pruning and wiring - to bring the canopy over the top.

I did more searching for tanyosho pine when I finished working on the trees. I was slightly surprised to read that the image I initially found on my web search before buying was of Bnut member Fredtruck's tree (see this post http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?11357-Dwarf-Japanese-Red-Pine-Discussion&p=144568#post144568). The comments suggest I may have scored a pretty darned good find, since these trees have trunk size galore.

At any rate - I'm happy and looking forward to seeing them progress.

Attachments

• tanyosho-JRP-8-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-8-web.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 87
  • tanyosho-JRP-7-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-7-web.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 98
  • tanyosho-JRP-6-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-6-web.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 88
  • tanyosho-JRP-5-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-5-web.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 88
  • tanyosho-JRP-virt1-web.jpg
    tanyosho-JRP-virt1-web.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 90

johng

Omono
Reaction score
These are actually a cultivar of Japanese Red Pine...If you haven't already I am sure you will find a graft along the trunk at some point. I have had a couple...both more as landscape pines rather than bonsai. Although the one I still have now is in a container, I have never really applied bonsai techniques so I can't really say how they respond.

Beware as they are subject to needle cast and if that ever gets started it is very difficult to completely get rid of it. Personally, I have also had issues with transitioning B&B trees to container culture...take your time and make the transition in steps is my best advice.

John

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good find.

You really don't see to many broom style pines. Based on that first picture I think you could pull it off with these trees.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great find indeed. This reminds me of the Umbrella pine aka Italian Stone Pine when fully matured.
dscn0068-e1335406894192.jpg

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Funny thing

One more thing. The store had them advertised as "Spruce". No other ID, just "spruce" on the price sign. A few had nursery tags that said Tanyosho Pine but definitely NOT spruce.

Top Bottom