Tanyosho JRP repotted at the wrong time of year.

Guffmeister

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Hi all!

I've not been on this site for a long time, but I've not abandoned the bonsai. I'm posting as I have a question regarding one of my pines.

I've not had a lot of success with pines, so generally I stick to deciduous plants. However, I did buy an old pine on eBay, and have previously posted questions about it (http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?4323-Scots-Pine-needs-some-drastic-back-budding). I originally thought it was a Scot's Pine, but it appears that it is in fact a Tanyosho Akamatsu after an ID from guys here on BN, which was a nice surprise.

However, since posting that question on the forum, I still didn't have the courage to do anything with it until this Spring. Foolishly, I just assumed that I could repot it the same time of year as all my other plants, but I have now read that I should have waited until the buds were a little more developed later in the year. I may also have been a bit over the top with the root removal.

Now I'm a little concerned about the plant, as it is slowly turning a shade of yellow. Most of the needles it is shedding are the older ones, but some of last years needles are also being shed and many of the buds which extended have died (they had been producing resin bubbles presumably meaning it was dehydrating). Furthermore, the newest needles are very easy to pluck out with very little force, suggesting that they too will eventually turn yellow and drop. Not all the shoots look dead. A few of the weaker shoots are holding their needles well, and have a green looking shoot on the end.

I've been taking a bit of extra care over it now. I'm misting it daily when I get home from work, especially on the hotter days. Can anyone suggest anything else which may aid this plant's revival? I'm quite confident that it should pull through once it starts rebuilding its root structure, but that won't start until August on a pine will it? I wonder if its foliage will last that long.

Here's a picture to show you what I mean.
2013-06-06 20.09.38.jpg

It'd be good to hear what people suggest.
Cheers!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is hard to see what type of soil it is in now, but it looks a little "rich" as in too much organic material. Most pines like a very well draining substrate and lots of drainage holes in the pot. I am guessing it was too much root work and/or over watering. I am guessing the tree is a goner, but leave it alone for a while on the dry side, and who knows.

good luck,
David

PS don't give up, but try some more, cheaper, pines until you get the hang of them.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
When sections of a tree begin dying, that is the tree giving you a sign that something is wrong. However, when the entire tree turns a different color (not seasonal related) or turns pale. That is usually a sign that the tree is dead. Not saying that is definitely the case here. However, it is very likely.

I think the tree may have dried out severly for a long period. Also, for future reference in regards to fungal diseases on pines. You would not want to mist the foliage often, you would be helping the fungus out.

I wish you luck with your tree.

Rob

Last edited:

Guffmeister

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thanks guys.

The soil is a free draining soil that I use on most other trees, with extra bark and sand/gravel included, all sat on a inch deep layer of coarse bark and pebbles. I shouldn't think this is the cause of the problem, but possibly.

And yes, I am only misting when it has the chance to dry off again fairly quickly. It doesn't remain damp for too long. I read in a number of books that misting a newly repotted pine was very beneficial.

I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for now.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's great to have a positive outlook on the possibile outcome of this project, but I have never seen a pine come back that looks like this one.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Do you have any close up shots showing last years needles, and this years candles? It'll be easier to tell what's happening?

Ben

Guffmeister

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
It's great to have a positive outlook on the possibile outcome of this project, but I have never seen a pine come back that looks like this one.

Oh dear! I didn't think it looked THAT bad! Oh well. You live and you learn.

I'll get some close-up snaps of the areas that are struggling and the areas that look a little more healthy and see what people think. I was hoping that there was enough root system for at least some of the branches to survive, unless the shock of losing too much root ended up killing the whole thing. It was pretty big and healthy so I hoped it could pull through.

Thanks again.

Guffmeister

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
OK. Here are some snaps of the buds.

First is a picture of a strong shoot, where the bud has died.
2013-06-07 20.17.50.jpg
The needles look ok, but they pull out fairly easily.

And second is a weaker shoot where the bud is still green.
2013-06-07 20.18.08.jpg
The needles are much more firmly attached to the branch here.

Generally, from what I've seen of this tree in the years that I've had it, it doesn't hold onto its second year needles for very long at all. I'm surprised if even on the strongest shoots that needles from two years ago would still be on it in the spring.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have anyone knowledgable locally, a club, or nursery that you could get some eyes on it? If I had a tree that was declining like this one is, and I wanted to save it, I would try to find some help. It's hard to know from photos what is going on sometimes...

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This year's new needles will come out easily early in the growing season on a white pine... I don't know about red pine. They harden off later in summer. Last yrs growth will be firm
Ian

Top Bottom