Target Soil Moisture Level for Juniper Procumbens nana

GS1993

Seed
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I purchased a Moisture meter 3 in one kind, and was hoping someone could give me some idea on where I want my soil to be on the meter.

I have a 4.5 inch Juniper Procumbens "nana" (Outside)

Bowl: https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-Faux-Concrete-Plastic-Capri-Succulent-Bowl-CSB08001K20/314602681 (I drilled some holes and made the original wider at the bottom for drainage/ Pics for ref.)

Soil: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H14XAI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I live in Miami, Fl and its sunny most year round.

Thank you!!

P.S. Any advise is welcomed

Attachments

• bsai 1.jpg
    bsai 1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 16
  • bsai 2.jpg
    bsai 2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 16
  • bsai3.jpg
    bsai3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 17

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This probably isn't what you want to hear, but the best meter is your finger. If it feels moist when you stick it in the soil about a half inch, don't water.

My guess is with that mix in Miami, you can water at least daily depending on weather/temperature.

Check post 10 on a surprisingly exactly named thread:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If it has a metal probe, it measures electrical resistance and it'll probably oxidize within a couple months.
A cheap alternative is a wooden chopstick in the soil; is it damp, then no watering. Is it dry, then water. Is it wet, then it's raining.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it wet, then it's raining.
Given that he is in Miami it might also be flooding if the whole stick is wet.

These meters measure conductivity. Conductivity increases with moisture but also depends on the soil type. What is dry in peaty soil might be wet in inorganic soil. So it is best to try for yourself.
You can water thoroughly in two or three times so you're sure it is as wet as it can be and measure. And measure when you think it is pretty dry using the chopstick or digging a bit.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And measure when you think it is pretty dry using the chopstick or digging a bit.
Or have a pot with your substrate, and grow a weed in it for a few weeks. Then let it dry out to wilting point, measure the substrate. That is the absolute minimum you want to avoid.

But as said before: These tools are tricky at best. Learn to read your local climate and how the plant responds. Untill you do, you could put an indicator weed i the pot (One requireing lots of water, that wilts before the pot is too dry for your plant)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want my soil to be on the meter.

You should want your soil in the pot!

Welcome to Crazy!

I say keep em wet. Or they'll die.

Sorce

Top Bottom