Taxis Mass Foliage Death 😱

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like berries coming on. Our yew bush where I grew up produced berries, but I’m not remembering clusters.
Birds sure liked them.
View attachment 490246
Funny thought crossed my mind when I saw this photo. I thought the olive should be on the outside and the pimento on the inside. This photo sort of defied my internal core image processor.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Berries should be squishy
They are when they're ripe, but have to start somewhere. The gal mites might be something to look into for sure.
Now we know these have been there over Winter, I'm sure if it were berries coming on, they never matured and died.
The berries when ripe, are about 7-10mm or around a 1/4". Certainly ornamental, but I haven't seen them in bonsai yet.
Would like to see and know the variant that has such fine foliage as juniper. Sounds cool.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No signed of mites or bugs.
Just these little things, that I had always assumed were male cones.
View attachment 490162
They're hard, but when you can crush them there's no slimy gore like you'd expect from bugs or eggs.

It's acting like other conifers I've seen that had root issues. I'll have to dig into the pot and check that, but until I can I'll do what I can under the nutrient deficiency category. Should have N from the fish emulsion I've been using, so I misted with chelated iron.
I have a yew that I took off a landscape yew by an air layer. I over winter it in a cool basement and the last two winters in March it produced a lot of male cones. The parent plant outside has never produced cones that I have noticed. When these cones mature beyond the photo enclosed, they shed a lot of pollen and eventually fall off. Yours look like male cones, but not healthy ones. yew male cones.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a yew that I took off a landscape yew by an air layer. I over winter it in a cool basement and the last two winters in March it produced a lot of male cones. The parent plant outside has never produced cones that I have noticed. When these cones mature beyond the photo enclosed, they shed a lot of pollen and eventually fall off. Yours look like male cones, but not healthy ones. View attachment 491009
That fills in some info for me. Thanks!

Nothing changing on the nutrient front so I'm very certain it's root issues now.
Cooler, weather weather expected in the next week, and my daughter will be available. We'll do some exploratory surgery on the roots then, and hopefully it's not too late.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dragged my daughter away from the electronics for a little bit today and did some exploratory surgery on the root ball.
IMG_20230604_122713_785.jpg
IMG_20230604_122724_650.jpg
No obvious signs of rot, fungus or vermin.
Also no obvious signs of significant root growth in the year and a half of being in that pot.

So I'm going on the failure to thrive theory now. It just hasn't grown much root for whatever reason.
Repotted into an Anderson flat with the zeolite I'm testing, 8822, and coco coir. Well draining, but slow drying, and won't compact much. Hopefully a more comfortable environment for roots.

A few days of rain in the forecast, but still warm temps. Should be about as good as a greenhouse for recovering from an out of season repot.

Top Bottom