Taxus bacatta

Reaction score
Those silly Germans. In The Netherlands we have "The" Frikandel. I had some trees looked like that, 5 years ago.
Schermafbeelding 2017-11-22 om 11.21.37.png
@Fonz you won it!!!! come eat it at my place.

Thats a nice virt @Bonsainut, never look at it in that way, nice. If i have time i'll draw something to day.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those silly Germans. In The Netherlands we have "The" Frikandel. I had some trees looked like that, 5 years ago.
View attachment 167947
@Fonz you won it!!!! come eat it at my place.
Where I live we call that "ne curryworst", no idea why, it doesn't taste like a sausage with curry.
Anyway, nice tree. Good luck with it!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where I live we call that "ne curryworst", no idea why, it doesn't taste like a sausage with curry.
Anyway, nice tree. Good luck with it!

Because of the curry ketchup :) It tastes very different from the ketchup in the USA.

Reaction score
Heavy feeding and watering. Next summer there will be bundles of growth at places. Let one and remove the others. Wire in fall if the tree was strong enough. Use everything, you can remove later...

Reaction score
Heavy feeding and watering. Next summer there will be bundles of growth at places. Let one and remove the others. Wire in fall if the tree was strong enough. Use everything, you can remove later...
Hell yes, dirk. This one kicked out buds everywhere, some are weak. What kind of fertilizer do you recommend?

When buds swell, i give them fishmix, then add abrakas. soil is: akadama and bims 50/50. and a hand cutting soil.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know you didn't ask me, but I'll tell you anyway...

I feed mine with 20-20-20 +with micro nutrients, and fish emulsion....switching back and forth each week.

I have 7 yews, have never lost one yet.
Nothing spectacular, yet....but with time...

My favorite species to work with, they're just great!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I like your virt, however it assumes that you bend some of the branches and the two main trunks. The photo makes the tree look pretty bulky and I'm not sure how successful you will be straightening those trunks. If you do it, I want you to show me how :)

virty.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Taxus is not that fussy from where the food comes. Common sense would say use organic. Most of the time i combine. Once or twice a week normal strength chemical fertilizer and some other organic shit i have laying around... They don't mind a bit of magnesium once in a while...

Reaction score
I like your virt, however it assumes that you bend some of the branches and the two main trunks. The photo makes the tree look pretty bulky and I'm not sure how successful you will be straightening those trunks. If you do it, I want you to show me how :)

View attachment 168034
Not by bending bud by growing new apex. I overturned it a little to the right. The picasso in me still have to be found.:(

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree ruben realy has potention to become a great tree where did you get it from?
Also how does it look from the other side??
Good to see a fellow dutchy!
Where you at in the netherlands?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Because of the curry ketchup :) It tastes very different from the ketchup in the USA.

This is a bit out of topic, but Ruben should tell you how real "chips", or 'French fries" are cooked (hint: it's the same for "real" chips" from a local fish and chip shop in Britain).

But they have a bad habit to my taste: they put mayonnaise on their chips! Since we're in a global world, the kids here use both mayonnaise and ketchup now.

Ech... Junk food.

Mustard rules OK!

:cool:

:D:D:D

Reaction score
@defra i found them at a construction yard, we dug out 80 trees.
IMG_3019.jpg IMG_3043.jpg IMG_3001.jpg
There where also a lot of junipers, 2 meters in height, but they suffer from perenroest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosporangium)
I am from Ede. Is it you that send me a message at marktplaats?. (i will reply to that)

@AlainK for the perfect fries you have to be in Belgium, they make baking fries an art. (Patat or friet its called)
I am a cook ( www.resys.nl) so i can speak for hours and hours about food.
Fries should be fresh, potatoes just pulled out of the ground and cut. The belgiums use ossewit (thats cow fat) to bake them in. Mayonnaise in bottle or pot, is sometimes just to sweet i don't like that, even as mustard. Plochmans, Bleeeeeeeee thats no mustard.
At school i had to make mayonnaise myself, thats real mayonnaise. I think i have the recipe somewhere. If you like, i will post it.
And a pinch of taxus on the side.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
for the perfect fries you have to be in Belgium, they make baking fries an art.

I do agree. I had a friend in Brussels that took me to a joint where they serve authentic "Moules-frites", the kind of place where it's cheap and excellent. And people in Brussels are so cool (except the few flemish nationalists skinheads I saw making nazi salutes outside a bar, down by the market place, not so far from the place they still brew "Mort Subite")

ossewit (thats cow fat)

I think it's "suet" in English. That's what my uncle who was a baker in New Ash Green, Kent, UK would use for his bread.

At school i had to make mayonnaise myself, thats real mayonnaise. I think i have the recipe somewhere. If you like, i will post it.

I've never used anyting else than a fork (not a whip), the yoke of an egg, half a tea-spoon of mustard, a drop of wine vinegar, and oil to make mayonnaise. And it stays firm! :D

If I can, I'll pop in some day, had a look at the Menukaart, and it's mouth-watrering.

Top Bottom