Taxus baccata (nursery stock)-Basic info

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello everybody!

In view of our club's oncoming workshop with guest artist Peter Warren, I have bought a taxus as educational/demonstration material (branches selection & placement, height reduction, change of angle etc). This is my first attempt with this species.
As you suspect the soil is compacted organic material and the prospective good roots are hiding underneath....
The workshop is scheduled at the beginning of April and consequently the first big interventions on the tree.

So, I need your advice:
Do you think it is safe for the tree to undergo some minor root work and repotting in a decent substrate at present or perhaps some time after the workshop?
Or should I wait until the next season taking great care regarding the humidity in the current soil?

Thank you very much in advance!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ideally, you would want your tree to be well rooted and stabilized in the pot before working it. What you want to avoid is the tree rocking in the pot while you are styling it, which can damage tender new roots. I think it would be safer to wait on transplanting, or to chose another piece of material that is already established in good soil.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you very much for your response, Stan.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello My nellie...Although these trees are tough trees. It is always best to just do one thing per season. Meaning if major styling/pruning work is going to be done this season. You should wait a season to do any sort of root pruning. Whever a tree has major work done it is good for the tree to rest.

If you get a tree and it is not doing very well and poor soil is the suspect. Then a repot and root inspection should be first priority. Which means any sort of styling should be held off until the tree regains health.

If I am understanding your post correctly, there will be major styling work done in April to the tree, if this is so, it is best to not disturb the root ball. If the tree is unhealthy, I would suggest not doing any major styling in April. I have noticed that yews in the nurseries are usually in a heavy, almost clay like soil. If your tree is healthy and the pot is still draining well, I wouldn't worry about. Another option would be to slip pot it. Meaning lift it out and put it in a larger pot. Then fill all around the root ball with good bonsai soil. You may want to tie it in so it doesn't move around during the upcoming styling. One important thing to remember if you do this slip potting technique. Keep in mind the actual root ball will remain wetter than the new bonsai soil that was added. Watering has to be monitored well so that the root ball is not contiunuosly soaked.

I hope this was helpful.

Rob

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Rob, thank you so much for your time!
Your reply is most helpful to me.
... ...If I am understanding your post correctly, there will be major styling work done in April to the tree, if this is so, it is best to not disturb the root ball.
... ...I have noticed that yews in the nurseries are usually in a heavy, almost clay like soil. If your tree is healthy and the pot is still draining well, I wouldn't worry about... ...
a) Yes, this is correct there will be major styling work to the tree.
b) Your description of the clay like soil meets exactly the case of my taxus. However the tree looks absolutely healthy. I wait for the next watering "session" to check how well the soil drains out (you see I have just bought the tree two days before and it is still wet).
Thus, I have now a clear timing program in my mind regarding the order of interventions to be done to the yew :)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, without health, there can be no bonsai. Also, a good instructor or teacher will let you know if a tree is ready for work when you provide the back ground for it. If it is not ready for certain things, the instructor usually will not proceed. Also, in regards to the clay soils. It seems like the home improvement stores and garden centers have the yews in a somewhat clay like soil. However, not in bonsai nurseries. As always, a well draining bonsai soil will always be the best thing for bonsai when they are in their pots.

Good luck with your tree and post some pics of it after the work is done.

Rob

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...It seems like the home improvement stores and garden centers have the yews in a somewhat clay like soil. However, not in bonsai nurseries... ...
Good luck with your tree and post some pics of it after the work is done.
Rob, here in Greece bonsai art is just making its debut. There are two bonsai fora and only one bonsai club which count 3-5 years old and there are no bonsai nurseries. The only source are the ordinary nurseries which sell stock for gardens not appropriate (or rather difficult) for bonsai. Most hobbyists are self taught and this event with P. Warren is the second one to be held in our country. However, there are one or two persons who collect native trees mostly olives and cultivate them for "bonsai-to-be" but in an amateurish way.
Well, I will make some shots of the yew before and after and I will post them here.
Thanks again!

Top Bottom