Taxus baccata "summer gold"

Reaction score
I see now that you have wired the left-front branch al the way to the right. It might be a well placed branch to accentuate the empty space on the left. There is no obvious reason to me why that branch would like to grow that way.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see now that you have wired the left-front branch al the way to the right. It might be a well placed branch to accentuate the empty space on the left. There is no obvious reason to me why that branch would like to grow that way.

Exactly my tought apex also goes left so the sun will most likely come from that side too if it gets there it will fill up the space that is created by removing that big branch
Most branches are not formed yet due lack of time before the show

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
quick virtual (blak in shari on trunk is hollowed out some more than it is now
removed the branch that drops down that blocks the view
drew the branch on the other side
did this all very quickly but you will get the idea.

quickvirt.jpg

This virt above combined with maybe this as angle for front is a option i am also looking at

IMG_20190106_170456.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
First off I really like this tree. That said, I think there's a conflict in it, around the way it moves.

I agree it would be best not to have that branch crossing the trunk. However, when you wire it to the left in your virtual, I see it as creating a strong movement to the left which clashes with the right-ward movement of the trunk and deadwood.

Without going back through the whole thread (so apologies if this has already been discussed), have you thought about removing it, and also shortening the one immediately above it? For me that might help clarify the movement, and create a nice negative space framed by the trunk and the crown. It would make the tree look bigger.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First off I really like this tree. That said, I think there's a conflict in it, around the way it moves.

I agree it would be best not to have that branch crossing the trunk. However, when you wire it to the left in your virtual, I see it as creating a strong movement to the left which clashes with the right-ward movement of the trunk and deadwood.

Without going back through the whole thread (so apologies if this has already been discussed), have you thought about removing it, and also shortening the one immediately above it? For me that might help clarify the movement, and create a nice negative space framed by the trunk and the crown. It would make the tree look bigger.

Thank you for the feedback!
Yes removing is An option but when i do and also the other one it Will leave a big empty space left and right and then the back branch wich now provides allot of the depth is kinda useless to then ill go look at it some more with your feedback in mind

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks lush, really love the carving job!
200.gif

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
this one has been repotted some days ago!
i didnt wire this tree past winter and i did not cut back and prune as hard as usual because i like the tree to stay strong and recover from the repot so its a little out of shape but health come's first.

i managed to place the tree a little bit more to the center of the pot and slightly adjusted the angle but there has to be some more work done to the roots to be able to plant it the way i want.

20220308_143727.jpg

20220308_153341.jpg

20220308_153249.jpg

20220308_153345.jpg

result:
20220311_144930.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I always have a love hate relationship with golden conifers, I know they are suposed to look like that but I cant avoid think they have clorosis or some deficiency 🤣

Top Bottom