Taxus baccata "summer gold"

Reaction score
Thnx dirk!
Why is it to late?
A bit late, not too late... Fall or early spring is the most common timing as far as i know. When styling after the buds are pushing, there is a risk of damaging the new growth or separating the cambium layer when heavy bending must be done. Also the sapflow needs time to adjust its pathways so there might be some branches that will lack vigor. But it is a healthy, non-repotted yew so i don't expect problems. There will be inner growth that was shaded before that will suddenly see the bright sun of the last week so you might get some white "leaf burn" if you haven't shaded the tree.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wired it in august once, the idea was that i had new wire in it so i wouldn't damage the new buds that would come. Then a couple of warm day's and TA ta ta burned!
View attachment 191639
Hi Ruben, are you suggesting that summer wiring is a bad idea on Taxus?
Do you think that putting the tree in full shade would have helped?

Edit:
Also, did that branch die ?

Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess the foliage needs some time to get used to the intense sunlight were it usualy was shaded out by the outer foliage deffenatltly something to considder when working yew if not other species as well!

With this tree i did the thinning way earlyer so i think it had plenty of to time to adjust
But thnx for the reminder ruben!
its something to keep in mind!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wow the yellow edge on green needles are spectacular!

This is an amazing tree already, I like a lot.

Reaction score
If you want more backbudding, try waiting until September. If you want to develop the backbudding, try a few weeks earlier. That's how I understand it for the moment. Really nice tree.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have one of these growing on in the beds. I like the first styling & I'll be watching this with interest. This has the potential to be a powerful bonsai!

Reaction score
Good start. A healthy taxus will always bud back when light hits the interior.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This yew is being prepared to get fully wired
Meaning removing all the growth from the crotches and removing some growth from the branches to let them actualy be branches and also this will let the light come in better to all the backbuds

The 4 sides after 80% cleaning up
Screenshot_20181110-130617.jpgScreenshot_20181110-133046.jpgScreenshot_20181110-133103.jpgScreenshot_20181110-133124.jpg

Some shots of the backbudding:
Screenshot_20181110-121631.jpgScreenshot_20181110-121651.jpg20181109_215723.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great job!

I picked a chance seedling in my garden that has the same colours on the branches twigs: the "trunk" is only 3-4 mm in diameter so far, so it's still a long way to go :D

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great job!

I picked a chance seedling in my garden that has the same colours on the branches twigs: the "trunk" is only 3-4 mm in diameter so far, so it's still a long way to go :D

Good luck glad this one has passed that stage ?

Reaction score
Flow might be different but less stable. Makes from a special tree a less special tree.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, when you reduce the deadwood you reduce the character of the tree IMO

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Jelle, i understand What you mean also you have seen the tree in real and i do like the virtual but i have another option were the Deadwood can stay
The drop branch that's now on the right blocks the view of the movement in the trunk line if i would make it go left it Will be better i think
adjusting the deadwood (shari) on the trunk can also help increasing intrest from the future front i will do a virtual when i got time to attempt to show my vision for the future

Top Bottom