TAXUS CUSPIDATA

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Shohin Taxus cuspidata (Japanese yew). It was purchased last year from Don Lindstrom which he graciously offered it to me after some back and forth. He masterfully grew this tree from a small cutting for almost 20 years. He, not only expertly developed it, but also set up its structure and overall character beautifully.

This is a pic from Don of the mother tree.

IMG_BE043CDB2630-1.jpeg

A photo from Don of the tree as it appeared at the time of purchase in July 2021.

IMG_8948.jpg

Recently wired and reworked in an effort to bring it one step further in its development. A few areas need now to densify a bit more but with taxus this is usually quickly accomplished.

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well done. When I look at that tree I see a bonsai, simply put.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Was looking through some of my posts and realized I never updated this one. The pic below is from early summer 2023. You can see how much fuller the pads have gotten as compared to the one from the previous year.

IMG_3457 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Beautiful @MACH5 .

Am curious about your technique at this stage of refinement ? Do you cut back all of spring growth in early summer and pinch back all old needles ?Do you fertilize only after spring growth has hardened off ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful @MACH5 .

Am curious about your technique at this stage of refinement ? Do you cut back all of spring growth in early summer and pinch back all old needles ?Do you fertilize only after spring growth has hardened off ?

Thanks! I pinch all new growth except for the weakest ones. I do pull off all second year needles as it promotes lots of back budding on Taxus. I don't fertilize heavily at this stage and only after the needles have hardened off.

Reaction score
Thanks! I pinch all new growth except for the weakest ones. I do pull off all second year needles as it promotes lots of back budding on Taxus. I don't fertilize heavily at this stage and only after the needles have hardened off.
Thanks @MACH5 as always sharing your knowledge and not holding back …

When you pinch all new growth , is it as they are appearing in spring like a Japanese maple or much later ? Removing of older needles are probably for early summer ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks @MACH5 as always sharing your knowledge and not holding back …

When you pinch all new growth , is it as they are appearing in spring like a Japanese maple or much later ? Removing of older needles are probably for early summer ?

I pinch them pretty much right away as they extend. If I need the length I will of course leave it. I remove the old needles in the fall to prepare the tree to back bud in the spring. But most likely you'll get a variety of different answers as far as best timing.

Reaction score
I pinch them pretty much right away as they extend. If I need the length I will of course leave it. I remove the old needles in the fall to prepare the tree to back bud in the spring. But most likely you'll get a variety of different answers as far as best timing.
Thanks @MACH5 . Reason I ask is because I too have a shohin taxus that’s reaching refinement and I have been pinching in spring as new growth emerges and then in summer once growth hardens off , taking old needles off . I haven’t tried fall but was curious . Either way Taxus back buds so profusely that I never thought of fall needle plucking until you mentioned .

Top Bottom