Taxus material 2

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's another Yew ive been working on, first basic styling, i think it has more of a feminine, elegant character compared to the usual powerful yews we see....
20180911_125953 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20180911_131308 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20180912_163157 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20180912_152015 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20180913_191324 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_6629 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_6633 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_6645 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

the deadwood areas will be hollowed out
IMG_6609 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_6610 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_6611 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_6636 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

the areas of deadwood will be hollowed. that will be it for the deadwood on this tree. this tree wont be one for major deadwood, but for the trunk movement and elegance. the base gets wider under the soil.

Last edited:

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When did you do all this work? was it spaced out over different seasons?
I got a few I need working and still learning when and how much... I realize they are strong, but still don't want to slow the health with too much work at once.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When did you do all this work? was it spaced out over different seasons?
I got a few I need working and still learning when and how much... I realize they are strong, but still don't want to slow the health with too much work at once.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

its a recent purchase, so in the last two weeks it was pruned significantly. this is a healthy tree with an established root system and an airpot bursting with roots.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@BobbyLane , I assume you got it with the airpot, meaning you didn't repot and cut back recently? again, not criticizing, just asking for my own knowledge.

Thanks.
I fully agree on having healthy trees and roots prior to substantial work

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@BobbyLane , I assume you got it with the airpot, meaning you didn't repot and cut back recently? again, not criticizing, just asking for my own knowledge.

Thanks.
I fully agree on having healthy trees and roots prior to substantial work

i got it from the nursery how you see it in the first photo:)

in the past ive worked and re potted them in one go, sometimes out of season. some have died, others have lived. theres so many variables. i was like you until i took it upon myself to see what works and what doesnt.. where i live these trees are cheap and easy to come by. ive been working other yews in the last couple weeks, but i havnt posted them all. even today i re potted another one. another went in the ground in the last few days. i do whatever i want, so im probably not the best person to ask for advice.:)

this one in the airpot will be re potted in spring, ill do an update.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i got it from the nursery how you see it in the first photo:)

in the past ive worked and re potted them in one go, sometimes out of season. some have died, others have lived. theres so many variables. i was like you until i took it upon myself to see what works and what doesnt.. where i live these trees are cheap and easy to come by. ive been working other yews in the last couple weeks, but i havnt posted them all. even today i re potted another one. another went in the ground in the last few days. i do whatever i want, so im probably not the best person to ask for advice.:)

this one in the airpot will be re potted in spring, ill do an update.

AWESOME!!
As I am a bit of the same. I have read and read and watched so many videos, and sometimes its resulted in mixed info.
So like you I just planted 2 yews, 2 picea, and 5 boxwood in the ground in the last week. I have also repotted 4 junipers. So I have realized like most things, I will learn as I go from experience, and will continue grabbing bits of info from wherever. Well done.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
if re potting a yew out of season, i wouldnt reduce the rootball much at all. but ive seen that you can replenish the soil if its really bad. teasing out bits of mud by hand. the reduction could be done at another date. sometimes ive found with these nursery trees, the ones which have been stuffed in pots quite recently, the soil falls ways quite easily and freely without ripping too much roots. the more pot bound ones are best left until the right time.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anything im repotting and/or putting in ground around fall season , I am just "fluffing" the roots, not really cutting, unless real large or out of place and no finer roots on it. Again, im just still building up my pre-bonsai collection, and learning what works with what tree, and which season, and so on, and on, haha.
in the next year or so, I may purchase some larger/older pre-bonsai junipers, in order to have one or 2. unfortunately, I don't have 100 years to let them grow in ground, haha.
But Yew's are a new favorite, as I am able to get large material from various sources, and they have the characteristics I like.
I have yet to see one in the wild, but if I am correct, you have them all over in the wild, in England?
Anyway, im enjoying this process and have learned patience thanks to Bonsai.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
yews are common here as hedging material and many of the older ancient ones have been planted in churchyards centuries ago.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
same tons of hedge material, but I don't see the ancient ones like over there.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
same tons of hedge material, but I don't see the ancient ones like over there.

you can see them on google or flickr. in my flickr favs there are loads of images. you dont need to see them in real life to use them for inspiration

i plan to carve a hollow into the dead stump on the bottom right of the tree, so it looks something like how it would of on a real taxus
IMG_6609 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
yew02x_1.jpg

yew01x.jpg

Top Bottom