Taxus Resource Thread

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Who can talk on recovery time for collected landscape Yews? I agree that landscape Yews are a great option for people that don’t have access or permission to sweet Yamadori.
I think greenhouse or plastic tarp of sorts is best, gotta keep that humidity up!
Also, I think at least 2-3 years to recover, untouched....until it grows crazy long extensions...
For me, in my climate, I know they're recovered when they push a strong and coarse second flush...

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think greenhouse or plastic tarp of sorts is best, gotta keep that humidity up!
Also, I think at least 2-3 years to recover, untouched....until it grows crazy long extensions...
For me, in my climate, I know they're recovered when they push a strong and coarse second flush...

If you look at Tony Tickle’s Youtube videos he has a lot on styling yews. He also has a couple videos on digging them. One thing I noticed is he uses heat pads under them and keeps them in a greenhouse. I don’t remember seeing that in any of Graham Potter’s videos. Bjorn has a great yew styling video on the Bonsai Focus channel.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you look at Tony Tickle’s Youtube videos he has a lot on styling yews. He also has a couple videos on digging them. One thing I noticed is he uses heat pads under them and keeps them in a greenhouse. I don’t remember seeing that in any of Graham Potter’s videos. Bjorn has a great yew styling video on the Bonsai Focus channel.
Yeah...
I'd be surprised if Graham doesn't also use a greenhouse.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
from what i understand yews can survive quite some time on saved up energy and grow the first year after collection and die on you in the seccond.

i have this big one:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/project-taxus.24631/
in this thread is some talk about this same subject
tree from the thread is still looking fine so far.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I collected huge yews, 12-14' tall so a huge foliage and root reduction. Count on 2 yrs post collection.
Chris—you gotta tell us more. Were you successfull? How far back did you cut them? What time of year and what was the status of the buds? What about your aftercare—greenhouse or tent? Details will be really helpful along with photos, especially of the end results. I have 3 next door beckoning me to dig them up and I don’t want to kill them.

Reaction score
yew's can be assholes too, trowing of live lines. Just when yew(?) totally didn't expect it. It still stay's the second lovely spices for me for bonsai.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It was like one of those Asian to English translation. Kinda weird :p But I got the idea what they where saying, mostly.

so a huge foliage and root reduction.
G.P. did the exact opposite with regards to foliage mass and he says it grew so well by the end of the year, he bare rooted and repot the following year. He didn't give any specifics but to say it was potted in a wooden box with pine barks a week after after collection. The pic showed almost no foliage at all :eek:. Look at the sac! What rootball?
yew_slideshow1.jpg
Um I did not ask for permission to use his pic. I hope he's OK with it.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Chris—you gotta tell us more. Were you successfull? How far back did you cut them? What time of year and what was the status of the buds? What about your aftercare—greenhouse or tent? Details will be really helpful along with photos, especially of the end results. I have 3 next door beckoning me to dig them up and I don’t want to kill them.
First time, in turface, total failure. The second time, in 100% pumice, both survived. Here's the thread, that needs updating. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/anyone-interested-in-chicago-yew-yamadori.11179/

I'm half way styling this one the last couple days in fact. It's big, about 4' tall. I'll post a pic when I'm done. The other one has also been potted up since and is ready too for styling, but only so much time. So I got a chainsaw that I'm taking to the larger one.
1526277708798.png1526277708798.png

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First time, in turface, total failure. The second time, in 100% pumice, both survived. Here's the thread, that needs updating. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/anyone-interested-in-chicago-yew-yamadori.11179/

I'm half way styling this one the last couple days in fact. It's big, about 4' tall. I'll post a pic when I'm done. The other one has also been potted up since and is ready too for styling, but only so much time. So I got a chainsaw that I'm taking to the larger one.
View attachment 192005View attachment 192005
Nice!

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collecting:
I've dug and cut them back hard in spring, cut-back in late winter and then dug in late spring after new growth, and dug in the mid-summer dormancy. I have only lost one of about ten large yew I've dug and that was because I left it bagged for a week or more before potting it up (had too many at once to deal with)

I think the really old specimens around me are a different species than the newer ones. The old ones (were talking old New England homes from the 1800's so..) may be pure baccatta? They are less likely to back bud, a little more difficult. The newer material that is being planted I believe to be mostly hybrids with Japanese etc. yew and will back bud profusely, you can cut all foliage off a plant in the ground and it will bud all over. Anyone else notice this or ?

Best to leave some foliage on any branch you want to keep. Roots can be pruned pretty hard, most people mulch around their stuff so there is a good amount of feeder root close in. I have had great results washing all field soil off with a hose and planting in pure perlite to 75% perlite 25% potting soil. recovery in one year, ready for first style in two or three.

Bring a chainsaw, digging bar, and strong back, they get big and heavy!

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is your experience with cold hardiness? Would it survive a harsh canadian winter in a pot? Does that vary between subspecies?

When I was last at a nursery, they had media and baccata specimens, and the employees were adamant that they would be a bad purchase as they would not survive -30 celsius (-20 F approx) lows.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
European yew (or at least the ones that grow here) are hardy to the bone.
There are some 80+ year old specimens in my area that have survived -20C at least.

Yesterday I read in a plant guide that these trees love the shade. I don't know if that's common knowledge.

I'm trying to kill mine because I have a thing against taxus. So if anyone needs something tested, just let me know.
Killing off all spring foliage through dessication (not watering for 2 weeks) did not work, it just popped new buds on other locations.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
European yew (or at least the ones that grow here) are hardy to the bone.
There are some 80+ year old specimens in my area that have survived -20C at least.

Yesterday I read in a plant guide that these trees love the shade. I don't know if that's common knowledge.

I'm trying to kill mine because I have a thing against taxus. So if anyone needs something tested, just let me know.
Killing off all spring foliage through dessication (not watering for 2 weeks) did not work, it just popped new buds on other locations.

Lol ill take it of your hands for free ;)

Btw are the ones ypu are reffering to in pots?
In ground trees are way more cold hardy than in a pot

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The ones i refer to are in the ground, but they're so old that they would have had the same winters as our grandparents. If the stories are correct, those winters were -150°C. But we know how hyperbolic grandparents can be ;-)

You can have my tiny taxus anytime man. I just want to keep the pot. It has been ripped out so many times that another transplant wouldn't hurt it more than it is. I think I posted a pic of it either on the guy wires thread, or on your bonsai stek forum.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What is your experience with cold hardiness? Would it survive a harsh canadian winter in a pot? Does that vary between subspecies?

When I was last at a nursery, they had media and baccata specimens, and the employees were adamant that they would be a bad purchase as they would not survive -30 celsius (-20 F approx) lows.
I have had no problems leaving them completely exposed...but I'm in Maryland...which does have it's moments of winter...but its not Canada.

I little protection protectioncant hurt...
Mulch pile...

Top Bottom