teach me about bonsai wire

lorax

Sapling
Reaction score
can anyone give some pointers on bonsai wire? Which types to use and maybe a link to a guide that explains the basics?

Thanks

lorax

Sapling
Reaction score
thank you vm

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Wire you use depends on the size of tree you work with.

Aluminum is cheaper, easier to find and work with, but copper holds branches in shape better with smaller wires. It is difficult to work with -- especially as you start out.

Reaction score
Wire you use depends on the size of tree you work with.

Aluminum is cheaper, easier to find and work with, but copper holds branches in shape better with smaller wires. It is difficult to work with -- especially as you start out.

I will echo this.

Any more, I use a mixture of the two. I use copper primarily for any trunks or thicker branches that can be/need to be bent. Then the aluminum wire comes into play on the smaller branches, as it's easier to manipulate without damaging the tree while trying to snake the wire through the branches.

Originally, the 1mm aluminum wire in the sample pack was useless. Now it is used more and more.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Check out Jim Gremel's site about wire. Www.jimgremel.com. He makes the best copper wire. Period.

Properly annealed copper is no harder to use than aluminum.

I generally use copper on conifers. And aluminum on deciduous. But I wire deciduous when the shoots are young and soft. I don't try to bend lignified deciduous branches.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I use Jim Gremel as my source as he is local, but also goes to many shows and conventions.

I follow a different rule of thumb than mentioned above. Copper wire is used for evergreen, and aluminum is used for deciduous. The reasons being that copper is tougher (but still easy to work with), holds better, and is more expensive than aluminum, and will stay on a slow growing evergreen tree much longer. With deciduous trees you will often be wiring more than once per year, removing the old wire as the tree grows, and repeating this process.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
"Makes" copper wire?
He "prepares and anneals" the best wire, well, except for me, but I don't sell wire.

Top Bottom