Teach me about "Hardening Off"

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please explain this process to me.

Please explain why you do it and its benefits.

Please use pictures to explain your process and its method.

I am most eager to see why I been doing it wrong and how I can improve on what I already have.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Please explain why you do it and its benefits.

Please use pictures to explain your process and its method.

I am most eager to see why I been doing it wrong and how I can improve on what I already have.
Read the 5th sentence.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21683870/
It describes why people use the terminology to explain the formation of the cuticle.
That's all I've got .....for now....

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

On a serious note it would take me a bit to type it all and then in my old age would most likely have missed a bit. I do however have a link in favorites that I find to be a very good reference. Although not a Bonsai site it certainly is informative - https://gg.memberclicks.net/hardening-off-plant-starts

Grimmy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Read the 5th sentence.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21683870/
It describes why people use the terminology to explain the formation of the cuticle.
That's all I've got .....for now....
I’ve read it three times. It read the same each time. No where did it mention the term hardening off. Please explain the relevance of this article to the task of pruning bonsai and how one can make that knowledge work for them. Like my instructions, which you blew off completely, show us on some of your finely manicured bonsai how this method works.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am stepping my game up, old man!?
What about the other response???
More personal attacks. Please debate the subject matter. If you can’t, I won’t hold against you, you would just be another person trying to do bonsai that thinks they know something and really don’t have what it takes. Maybe growing tomato’s would be something you could handle. Please show me otherwise.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ve read it three times. It read the same each time. No where did it mention the term hardening off. Please explain the relevance of this article to the task of pruning bonsai and how one can make that knowledge work for them. Like my instructions, which you blew off completely, show us on some of your finely manicured bonsai how this method works.
It's not a method.
It's how plants grow.
Deny if you wish.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone on Bnut recently posted a good description of leaf hardening. Can't remember who it was though. I want to say Marky
Even though you don’t remember who or what was written, in your mind why would waiting till leaf hardening be good for pruning a tree for ramification?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not a method.
It's how plants grow.
Deny if you wish.

Just as I thought you can’t explain yourself either with words or trees. Carry on with your clubfooted yew that you now realize was a boneheaded purchase

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Even though you don’t remember who or what was written, in your mind why would waiting till leaf hardening be good for pruning a tree for ramification?
As I understand it, the leaf will transpire less, therefore lose less water, and also be full of chlorophyll and ready to regenerate. Pruning also releases latent buds further down the stem.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
More personal attacks. Please debate the subject matter. If you can’t, I won’t hold against you, you would just be another person trying to do bonsai that thinks they know something and really don’t have what it takes. Maybe growing tomato’s would be something you could handle. Please show me otherwise.
Not an attack, in jest, hence winky face....

Just as I thought you can’t explain yourself either with words or trees. Carry on with your clubfooted yew that you now realize was a boneheaded purchase

There is no debate to have....what the debate about?

What are you asking, exactly???
You've successfully made your point about the Terminology of Hardening Off....
And I made my point about it....
End result, no one is wrong...

Though your usage of the terminology certainly has more historical provenance....
What else?

You want a picture of my ramified tree....I don't have any there yet... You know that.

But if your curious as to what I do have going on, search my content, I post more threads about more of my shit than most anyone...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As I understand it, the leaf will transpire less, therefore lose less water, and also be full of chlorophyll and ready to regenerate. Pruning also releases latent buds further down the stem.
Also, you allow the tree to get more "traffic" on the branches, which will give you better backbudding once exposed to light.

Do we now need a whole new thread on the definition of "traffic"....
Not the band....
Not the cars and trucks on the road....
It's the movement of carbohydrates and sugars in the vascular system of the tree.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not an attack, in jest, hence winky face....

There is no debate to have....what the debate about?

What are you asking, exactly???
You've successfully made your point about the Terminology of Hardening Off....
And I made my point about it....
End result, no one is wrong...

Though your usage of the terminology certainly has more historical provenance....
What else?

You want a picture of my ramified tree....I don't have any there yet... You know that.

But if your curious as to what I do have going on, search my content, I post more threads about more of my shit than most anyone...

I have no doubt that as you gain experience you will think about this and laugh and say I get now what Al was talking about.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have no doubt that as you gain experience you will think about this and laugh and say I get now what Al was talking about.
I get your point, words mean things...it's a very important part of life.
And please don't think I'm actually making fun, or name calling in a derogatory manner, I'm only playing.

Top Bottom