Teach me about Rosemary

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you know anyone in the area who's had success with them in their garden? I would just ask them how they do in your area, and let that guide you.
Here the winters can get too cold in much of the state, and the ground is often clay heavy and can stay too wet, so it's hit-or-miss success.
I know one other person who is into plants at all.... and he doesn't have rosemary....but thats a great thought.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rosemary thrives in the ground in 7a and can get up to 4’, at least neglected around my area. Think you may get bit more snow and cold despite same zone…see in raised beds here….in a pot winter care hmmm…

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Could be wrong on the, "most States," bit. I only have a handful in personal experience to judge by after all.

Still, seems like it should be fine for you indoors as long as it has decent light.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a few Rosemary in pots, but being in Southern California where we only get minimal frost, my climate is milder than most. As others have said they dislike root work, so I tend to start them in pots fairly young, go hard on the initial rootwork, because it’s not going to like multiple reductions. Kill it or make it a bonsai, basically. They grow so fast, and root from cuttings so easily, there’s not much loss if it dies.

Theyre brittle and larger branches cannot be moved very much, so wire when green. Mine dont like being dry at all, I treat them like japanese maples. I had a nice one die when I experimented with watering it more like a black pine.
668066CC-2C7F-4C7A-803D-6B8133B4E121.jpeg
D6BBB5BB-02FB-4989-BF14-6397860E7A6C.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a few Rosemary in pots, but being in Southern California where we only get minimal frost, my climate is milder than most. As others have said they dislike root work, so I tend to start them in pots fairly young, go hard on the initial rootwork, because it’s not going to like multiple reductions. Kill it or make it a bonsai, basically. They grow so fast, and root from cuttings so easily, there’s not much loss if it dies.

Theyre brittle and larger branches cannot be moved very much, so wire when green. Mine dont like being dry at all, I treat them like japanese maples. I had a nice one die when I experimented with watering it more like a black pine.
View attachment 412535
View attachment 412536
Very nice! Thank you!

Top Bottom