Teak Wood Oil

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone ever used this to preserve the dead wood on their trees? It's natural so I'm assuming there wouldn't be any ill effects to the trees roots or foliage.

Jrbrown4

Sapling
Reaction score
Other options

I have never used teak oil but I have used wood hardener and lime supler with good results

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ryan, I have and its great. Works extremely well and has a tendency to last longer than linseed oil.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan, I have and its great. Works extremely well and has a tendency to last longer than linseed oil.

Thanks Tom :D That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Ryan,

Yes I've used it and I'd recommend it especially for deadwood on deciduous or flowering trees where lime sulphur tends to look out of place.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Teak oil is linseed oil...or maybe more exact 95% linseed oil derived from flax seed. The oil used in teak oil, which has nothing to do with teak at all except a cool name given to it to sell to people for outdoor teak furniture is boiled a little longer than that of flax seed oil labeled linseed oil.

Many teak oils will also include tung oil which is far superior to all of them except for the price. Tung oil takes forever to dry and so is usually polymerized to dry faster, or can be thinned with naptha which will accelerate drying.

Tung oil is made from the pressed nut of the tung tree and is extremely water proof. I use it as the only finish on my stands now because it will not leave a white mark when a drip from a pot lands on it like laquer will. Tung oil will also be good for your trees since it is very water proof. The Chinese have used tung oil on boats for centuries.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually Al, Teak oil contains boiled linseed oil (not raw linseed), a bit of varnish and a bit of tung oil. Didn't realize I would have to give a ingredient breakdown. Like you I have also worked more Teak in my time than should be allowed.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually Al, Teak oil contains boiled linseed oil (not raw linseed), a bit of varnish and a bit of tung oil. Didn't realize I would have to give a ingredient breakdown. Like you I have also worked more Teak in my time than should be allowed.

Thats what I said. Boiled longer...

Not me hate the stuff. Teak that is... Good for furniture I guess.

I guess my point was there is no such thing as "teak oil". Just a fancy name for a little bit better grade product. Your post made it sound as if you were talking about two seperate products which they aren't.

I guess the best thing would be to buy unboiled linseed oil and boil it down with paraffin. That would really do the job.

or... have a tree that didn't have potential rot issues in the first place?

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is why I love this forum!

So much knowledge :D Thanks guys. Any idea where Tung oil can be found at the least expensive rate?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tung oil I've used in woodworking dries with a sheen. Wouldn't that make it a little artificial looking when used on deadwood?

I avoid using wood hardener on deadwood as a preservative. Aside from the kind of unnatural looking shiny finish, wood hardener doesn't provide much preservative protection.It is meant to plasticize soft punky wood so it can be worked--it doesn't seal it, per se. I had one older rose with a six inch dia. trunk that was decomposing badly. I tried to "preserve" it using wood hardener. The result was two years after I began treating it, the trunk simply caved in. There was a 1/2 inch shell of hardened wood where wood underneath had simply rotted away--water had seeped through...

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tung oil I've used in woodworking dries with a sheen. Wouldn't that make it a little artificial looking when used on deadwood?

Marc,
Your right, thats why "teak" oil works well. With the infusion of tung oil in the linseed oil it mutes the sheen. Giving benefits of both oils and good preservation.

Top Bottom