Team Albizia Julibrissin

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those of us ( @JuniperSol and @penumbra ) awaiting our accidental “Persian silk” seeds, I thought it might be nice to make a group thread so that we could all share progress with one another.

I’m still waiting for mine to arrive, if anyone else ordered them in error feel free to join in when your seeds arrive.👍

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Two of mine have sprouted! I'll send pictures in a bit because they're in plastic bags for humidity

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I lied, there's four but I didn't see the fourth till after I took photos. I planted them last week on Wednesday I believe. I did do the almost boiling technique and then I used nail clippers to chip off the bottom of the seeds (round part) and kept them in room temp water for 24 hours or more. Also, I nail filed one of them to experiment with different types of scarification and that worked as well. Don't recommend the nail filing though, it took too much time to do.

I'm also sort of experimenting. I didn't have sand or compost so 6 are in potting soil with crushed perlite and 3 of them are in seedling soil. I only mention 9 because one seed arrived crushed and damaged, so had to throw it away.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is how I am growing them. My house stays around 68f (or 20c) and they sit in front of a south-facing window. I check the soil's moisture and water accordingly. Usually, I water at night because the water in the soil evaporates pretty quickly. I read that this is the best thing to do because they need a humid environment.

Here are the instructions they come with:
This man for real had the audacity to call them Brazilian rain trees, pfft. I got my refund btw

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My seeds came yesterday. My instructions are suspiciously different than yous. The word Brazilian is missing in the title and the 1st paragraph is missing. Nowhere does the document the botanical name. I feelIMG_4593.JPG I have seen these tri-colored seeds before and believe they are mimosa, Albizia julibrissin.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like it might be team rain trees then haha. @Mapleminx show us the seeds you got when it arrives!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yet they were listed as Brazilian Rain Tree. I notice on the last paragraph of both my instruction page and yours, the plant is referred to as the monkey pod. Damn common names.
BTW, my seed treatment for these types of seeds is the same as yours.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yet they were listed as Brazilian Rain Tree. I notice on the last paragraph of both my instruction page and yours, the plant is referred to as the monkey pod. Damn common names.
It's so dumb lol. I reached out to a guy on reddit to let him know that we are all victims of being scammed and invited him to the thread

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it might be team rain trees then haha. @Mapleminx show us the seeds you got when it arrives!
Team “Monkey Pods” might be better but I ca’t change the title 😂.
I suspect mine will be a while longer as they have further to travel but I will be sure to share what they look like when they arrive and which instructions I get.
I prefer to nail file rather than nail clip in scarification.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Team “Monkey Pods” might be better but I ca’t change the title 😂.
I suspect mine will be a while longer as they have further to travel but I will be sure to share what they look like when they arrive and which instructions I get.
I prefer to nail file rather than nail clip in scarification.
My seeds are Albizia Julibrissin

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just checked, 8/9 have germinated. Either one is a dud or a late bloomer. The rest seem to have stems ready to sprout. Super excited to see how my early bloomer looks in the morning! The head of it just opened up and I can see the first stem full of leaves getting ready to spread itself out!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just checked, 8/9 have germinated. Either one is a dud or a late bloomer. The rest seem to have stems ready to sprout. Super excited to see how my early bloomer looks in the morning! The head of it just opened up and I can see the first stem full of leaves getting ready to spread itself out!
That is a pretty decent germination rate for any tree seeds. If I get 50% germination on tree seeds I am satisfied.
BTW, you can assume they are Albizia julibrissin, but there is no way you can be certain unless you have seeds to compare it to. But you could very well be right as a guess.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Aww look at him go! That’s a great germination rate you’ve had. Still waiting on mine, I was hoping they’d be in the mailbox today but nope.
Yeah there’s no way to track the package. Basically had to wait and twiddle my thumbs :/

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is a pretty decent germination rate for any tree seeds. If I get 50% germination on tree seeds I am satisfied.
BTW, you can assume they are Albizia julibrissin, but there is no way you can be certain unless you have seeds to compare it to. But you could very well be right as a guess.
I did some heavy research on the seeds because I was trying to see if they were Brazilian rains. Mine are skinny like the Julibrissin and not as thick as the Saman

Top Bottom