Technical vs. artistic

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Most people have an aptitude for either type of learning. Most find technical information easier to understand as opposed to creative and some people find the creative side easier.

As far as teaching creative...It can't be taught but it can be encouraged. Teaching Fine Art most people have a creative aptitude which is why they're taking classes in the department to begin with.

Most people struggle with their creative side.

Left brain dominant people tend to make decisions based on thinking and right brained people tend to make decisions based on feeling. Creatives may struggle with learning technical issues but that can be taught, and once they learn the technical issues that they're off and running.

Left brain dominant people tend to learn the technical issues with more ease but their struggle with the creative can be very difficult for them to come to terms with.

Most people are left brain dominant so if you find yourself struggling with artistic decisions you have a lot of company. Find a mentor who can help you with that or read books like 'Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain'...(You may think you can't draw but you can.) Learn to trust your gut instincts.

Practice making creative decisions. Create plantings in pots on a patio with spring plants and create an arrangement you think looks good. Take pride in your achievements and apply things you learn in other areas to bonsai. You can find you own creative voice with bonsai. It would help to take classes with a patient mentor but if that's not possible challenge yourself and create opportunities to practice creativity.

It's about learning about yourself and understanding how you see things differently than other people. Finding your own creative vision and not copying someone else. You'll make mistakes but if you learn something it's part of the process. Don't be afraid to do something differently or a little odd. If if 'feels' right then try it. Don't be afraid to break the rules, but learn the rules before you break them.

Go out and find your own creative voice and don't try to copy someone else. There's only one you so get comfortable with your own decisions. Have fun with it. If it doesn't feel right, it's probably not.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Generally, I agree.
I do think however, that an artistic eye can be learned and attained if the desire to create is there.
I actually think the opposite is true. Technique can be learned, but the “artistic” side is mostly a gift.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I actually think the opposite is true. Technique can be learned, but the “artistic” side is mostly a gift.
Obviously technique can be learned, and the natural gift of an artistic eye is usually just that, but I'm saying that an artistic eye can also be learned if the desire is there. My statement is not in reference to bonsai alone. People can be taught to appreciate art in ways they may have never considered before, and once that appreciation is realized, they can become influenced by the art of others to create art of their own.....happens all the time.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Left brain dominant people

There is no basis for the left brain-right brain story. It's nice for magazines at the hair salon but is nonsense.

Both artistic and technical skills can be learned but how easy people learn it differs. This might partly be genetic and partly nurture. I do not believe in a fundamental difference between the two.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is no basis for the left brain-right brain story. It's nice for magazines at the hair salon but is nonsense.

Both artistic and technical skills can be learned but how easy people learn it differs. This might partly be genetic and partly nurture. I do not believe in a fundamental difference between the two.
🤔🤔🤔
...suspect you will get your hair blown back, if you hit the library for info 🙂
The left brain=logic and right brain=creativity theory was once considered scientifically sound, but has in recent decades been disproven.
It just keeps hanging on for some reason, like the alpha wolf concept which was disproven only a couple years later by the very same naturalist who first posited the idea. He spent years trying to get his first book pulled from the shelves after realizing he was so horribly wrong, but pop psychology had latched onto it so hard and made it so profitable that his publisher refused.
Both sides of the brain play equal parts in creative as well as logical problem solving.

I do agree with @Bnana's assertion that artistic creativity can be learned. I tend to draw a distinction between skill and talent, where talent is an innate ability, and a skill is practiced and learned.
The greatest artists have the talent, and have also refined it by developing the skills to back it up.
Virtually anyone can can learn the skills, and part of that is discovering what talents they do have and how they can compliment those skills.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There is no basis for the left brain-right brain story.
Ummm... besides science, you mean?

I know that different sides of the spinal column/brain stem effect different areas of the body, depending on side...

I’ve also tried to TEACH someone, without rhythm to play drums... for a WEEK straight... he only KIND of got it.. still struggles.. because he just DOESN’T possess that ability..

It’s the sane TEACHING non-creative people to write, creatively.. it’ll never FEEL the same... because it’s derivative... not CREATED.

I’m uncertain if sides of the brain have to with THIS... just a fun anecdote.

Last edited:

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bnana @leatherback @ShadyStump -- you're right, of course, it hasn't turned out to be the tidy "either/or" after all. I mistook the tone, and thought the whole brain-science baby was going out with the bathwater --
This was fascinating -- 753AFBA5-8E29-4A29-92C5-3550D6C4DEE6.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The actual “stroke” and what’s happening in your body/brain DURING.. is VERY enlightening to this issue.

It’s one of those things.. many disagree.. and everyone’s books/proof/hair salon mags discount eachother..

I like the brain as a WHOLE

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think telling non-creative people they should spend time trying to muster up the impossible is doing them a disservice.

I've found that understanding your actual personality traits is a greater service to everything from art to personal relationships.

If you understand what actually makes you up, you can utilize your "non-artistic" traits to better become artistic, or understand your time is better spent paying someone else to articize your trees.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think telling non-creative people they should spend time trying to muster up the impossible is doing them a disservice.

I've found that understanding your actual personality traits is a greater service to everything from art to personal relationships.

If you understand what actually makes you up, you can utilize your "non-artistic" traits to better become artistic, or understand your time is better spent paying someone else to articize your trees.

Sorce

“Know thyself“ is a VERY prominent facet of remarkable people.

Also.. to the Creatives... the fact that someone CAN’T do it.. seems ALIEN.....

And to the non-artistic/creative people... the driving factors BEHIND creation/art are JUST as Alien...

...I’ve noticed.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
If you throw out the right brain-left brain argument then look at the way people go through life and make decisions. If you're an analytic type or the type who makes decisions on instinct.

It's very difficult teaching analytic types of people to think like an inherently creative person. Go to ANY art class and see how you do. If you can go in and without any instruction join the class and do well then you're probably naturally creative.

If you're uncertain about your choices and struggle with design, color theory or basic creative concepts you're probably more comfortable with a class where you could exercise your ability to make rational decisions based on facts.

Teaching a class where it's critical for the student to think in an original (Can't repeat the word original enough) way is very, very difficult. If that person doesn't have their own original ideas then they can be encouraged but it's up to them to try and make creative breakthroughs and it's slow going. They absolutely can grow and make changes but they need to work hard at it. On the same note a creative would likely struggle with analytic facts but facts can be learned and therein lies the difference.

That's why we use the word 'gift' with creative abilities. It is a gift. Most children have it until it's taken from them in a world where we teach everyone to color inside the lines.

Top Bottom