TecomariaCapensis( Cape Honeysuckle)

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just got a 5 gallon Tecomaria from Lowes. Looks like it has 3 seperate good size trunks. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any pics? I will try to post pics tomorrow. Rained today. FINALLY!!! Thanks, Joe

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are some pics.any suggestions,input?

Attachments

• honey2.jpg
    honey2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 70
  • honey3.jpg
    honey3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 76
  • honey4.jpg
    honey4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 95

Hisaoka

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I like the one on the left, has a nice curvy trunk.

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tecomaria

Thanks! I hope there are 3 separate trunks in there.Might be connected. Not sure when I should do any work on them.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can remove the soil on the top and see if those trunks are from one big trunk; if not, then they can easily be separated. Honeysuckle is very strong. Few months ago, I got a free dig of a big honeysuckle, it had lot of running from its big trunk. I collected one big trunk and 3 smaller running trunks. They were completely bared root. Up to this time, all of them are pushing out a lot of new branches! Bonhe

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Bonhe. I will check them out in the morning. If I do have 3 seperate trunks, is it a good idea to seperate them and pot them now? If I should wait, when is a good time? Thanks, Joe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're welcome Joe. You should wait until next spring.
Bonhe

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I vote that they are separate.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I vote that they are separate.

I second that.
This is a good find! I would keep all three for a clump style forest. The trees would have to be rearranged eventually, maybe at the first repotting. Here's a thumbnail sketch for it. Maybe in 5 or 10 years time. Good luck in San Antonio, my old home town.
Si

Attachments

• honeysuckle.jpg
    honeysuckle.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the sketch Si. Way Cool! I never thought of doing that.Cant wait to get started. I will try to figure out what to do with it. Thanks, Joe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Joe, this is good material because it has multiple trunks to work with. Even if you don't want to do any "designing" or styling at all with it, it could be left just the way it is and be pruned (clip-n-grow) into a nice pleasing bonsai. I sketched a design with multiple apex, but you could also aim for a simpler and faster design with just one dome. See the new sketch. Alot of sun, water, and careful fertilisation should get this tree growing so fast that you will be busy chopping it back every few months. Good luck with it!
Si

Attachments

• honey4.jpg
    honey4.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 53

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow Si, Thats awesome. I think I will try it that way. Should I take off the foilage,etc. thats outside of the dome now, or wait. How would you do this project? I havent done anything to it except water it and give it some sun.Thanks, Joe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Joe, yes, you can start with simply removing the excess foliage "outside of the dome" now. That's not a bad way of putting it! Basically, you will just be doing topiary trimming for now. Then let's see how the tree respond. It should be very satisfying to see the tree push back with new growth. Don't forget to fertilise it in a few weeks. It is good to start out with organic fertilisers and stay away from chemical fertilisers for potted trees. Chemical fertilisers are only good for plants that are in the ground. In the future, you can consider other options, like growing it out in the ground for faster development, or you can even cut it back really hard (not recommended right now).
Good luck with it!
Si

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think this is a single plant with multiple trunks. It is most likely three individual plants.

That may alter the design a bit at the next repotting :)

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure if its seperate trunks or not. Kinda hoping that it is. Anyways, I did some trimming today and cant wait to see what how much of it comes back.Here are some after pics. I took some at different angles to kinda give you an idea of whats goin on in there. There were alot of what looked like broken off branches. Reminded me off some jins that I see on this and other forums.So far all the foilage looks great.

Attachments

• honeyafter4aug2309.jpg
    honeyafter4aug2309.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 28
  • honeyafter1aug2309.jpg
    honeyafter1aug2309.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 26
  • honeyafter3aug2309.jpg
    honeyafter3aug2309.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 27

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd pretty much guarantee it's three plants. The three trunk groups are too evenly spaced apart to be connected. These were planted as seedlings in the same container.

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thats what I was thinking when I bought it. The possibility of having 3 seperate trees wasexciting.Just seriously looking them over for now. Trying to see all the possibilities in addition to Si's idea.Will keep yas posted.

Top Bottom