Ted Matson Workshop Phoenix,AZ

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ted Matson...currator of The Huntington Library bonsai pavillion is in PHX this weekend. Summer Winds Nursery Tatum Blvd location. Sponsored by PBS.

My subject:
Yaupon Holly
3.71" nebari
Nursery bought 15 gallon pot.
20190112_112049.jpg
20190112_112103.jpg
20190112_112120.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After:

20190112_150101.jpg
20190112_150047.jpg

Great day. Ted is a wealth of knowledge very informative and willing to share.
As far as the tree is concerned I am very happy with the outcome. Ted said a great time to trim holly back in this area. Repot in June.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ted did an excellent job explaining growth internodes and compression as you move towards the apex of the tree. I also think he was gauging my willingness to cut the tree back ??.
IMG_3592.jpg

Pretty happy with nebari growth. I took this picture November 2017.
20171105_161944.jpg

This picture tonight.
15473503010871863659077921876649.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree Leo. It was 4 hours of almost constant dialogue about 8 different species of trees. Horticulture, wiring, fertelizer, potting, on and on. I realy enjoyed it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also think he was gauging my willingness to cut the tree back ??.

I was going to comment earlier, but decided not to ask in your thread. But now that you brought it up....what was Ted's perceived idea about cutting back? I would have cut a lot of those stubs back much shorter. I think in future years you will be kicking yourself in the butt that you didn't cut them back more when you have built secondary and tertiary growth on lose long straight stubs????? Then you can start all over again.....

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe he was looking at the growth internode on the trunk and trying to match the length of it in the cut back. There were many straight branches we removed and I agree there are a couple left that he said I would have to take a look at removing later. I had the feeling he did not think the tree needed to be started over in its entirety. And there was one he took back to stump so I know he would not hesitate to do it.

As for me, I would have been good with it either way. Seems like everytime I go to one of these workshops my trees come back much smaller, and I do not mind! Actually I have 4 more yaupons on my bench that I cut back hard today based on what I learned yesterday.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe he was looking at the growth internode on the trunk and trying to match the length of it in the cut back.

Now that is something I have never heard. I do not understand it at all???

Nine years ago while Ted was President of GSBF and I was Grants and Scholarship Chairman and Trustee, giving away money. Thats Joe James to the right, instrumental on helping the valley get it's collection together and immediate past President. That's a Bill Valavanis shirt I have on. Wish I had that nine years back. This was at the first Kazari in Hanford, California while at the Clark Center for Japanese Art.

DSC_00021.JPG

Last edited:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that is something I have never heard. I do not understand it at all???
He may have had a totally different reason @Smoke That is my interpretation which may be completely wrong. I do not want you to think I am putting words in his mouth.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with Smoke. Cut those branches back more.

Actually, if you look at it, you have thin branches coming off the bottom of the trunk, and thick branches up at the top. Which, unfortunately, is exactly opposite of what you want. You want heavy branches on the bottom, than thin ones up top.

Pretty much, the only solution is to COMPLETELY remove those heavy top branches. And start the tree properly. You can keep the lower branches, but they need to be cut back, too. They have no taper.

Ted probably didn’t want to tell you this, figuring your feelings would get hurt.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ted probably didn’t want to tell you this, figuring your feelings would get hurt.
?? Snowflake that I am!
One thing I know for certain everyone has an opinion.
I will stick with Ted on this one considering he had the tree right in front of him. I am glad I went and I learned a lot.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Watch this video by John Geanangel.

It’s talking about azalea, but the concept is exactly the same as your tree.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've had the internode discussion with Ted, live, in person not over the internet. I think I know what he meant, but I am pretty sure I would make a mess of trying to explain it. @AZbonsai - I would follow Ted's advice, since it made sense to you. The advice you have gotten on line from Al and Adair and others is good, nothing wrong, and would probably work. BUT Ted is the only one that has seen the tree in person, and I'm certain there was a discussion with you that include what you do this year, and each year for the next two or three years. So go with Ted's plan. I have in the past and was always pleased with the results.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Adair M Sorry Adair I did not see this or I would have replied sooner. It is great information and very easy for me to understand! I will definitely be using it on my other trees.

I have been very lucky I think in my short 3 year bonsai journey. I found Bnut, I joined the Phoenix Bonsai Society, and I have had the opportunity to go to 4 different workshops put on by some fairly well known bonsai artists from out west: David Nguy, Sam Adina, and Ted Matson. I have two trees that I worked with David on the 1st styling , 1 tree that Sam Adina and I worked on (is a trunk chop a style? :)) and now a tree that Ted Matson and I worked on . That is pretty good for a newbie I believe. Some people never get the chance to work with a sensei. All three had a vision for the tree in the future and it is my hope that I can, with my very limited abilities, try and get those trees there without drastically deviating from their initial vision. Will things go south....more than likely! But that is my hope.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M Sorry Adair I did not see this or I would have replied sooner. It is great information and very easy for me to understand! I will definitely be using it on my other trees.

I have been very lucky I think in my short 3 year bonsai journey. I found Bnut, I joined the Phoenix Bonsai Society, and I have had the opportunity to go to 4 different workshops put on by some fairly well known bonsai artists from out west: David Nguy, Sam Adina, and Ted Matson. I have two trees that I worked with David on the 1st styling , 1 tree that Sam Adina and I worked on (is a trunk chop a style? :)) and now a tree that Ted Matson and I worked on . That is pretty good for a newbie I believe. Some people never get the chance to work with a sensei. All three had a vision for the tree in the future and it is my hope that I can, with my very limited abilities, try and get those trees there without drastically deviating from their initial vision. Will things go south....more than likely! But that is my hope.
Sam is great! I have several olives he started.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We also are looking down on the tree verses the designated front at eye level. Perspective in person verses 2D. I think this class helped you grasp this piece of material. And you have a forward goal in mind. A bit envious of who you've rubbed elbows with on your journey already. But...happy for you none the less.

The final image of Neabari...sure shows some great movement in that trunk!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, I'm on board with harder cut back. I dug this one up in 2012 and left the branches excessively long (sound familiar?).

MM4.jpg

Eventually you give in to your fears and cut it back where you should have in the beginning and suddenly you have something that resembles a tree.

DSCF1862.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sam is great! I have several olives he started.
Sam was at the first (and second!) Intensive I took with Boon. He was finishing up the program when I was just starting. He helped me finish pulling the needles on Godzilla. He was wiring one of Boon’s personal trees, a fabulous JBP during my first Intensive.

A couple years later, I went to his house to see his trees, and brought home a small olive.

And a year after that, I bought a BIG olive from him!

4F5E4A19-7EBD-43C0-BC69-D3CC07962762.jpeg

If you want an olive, Sam is the man!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that is one big olive. Sam came to one of our club meetings and trunk chopped one of my ficus for me to get it started. I have heard the same about his olive abilities.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update:
20190413_182748.jpg
20190413_182836.jpg

A lot of new growth. Going to let it gain strength back over summer. Big cut back and root work. It seems to have pulled through.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom