Telaparion Banri No Kagayaki azalea

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I picked this up a couple weeks ago. There were a few I saw last year when I was up there. This was one that was knocking on deaths door but hasn’t entered. I think these are imported ones from Eldorado when Telaparion bought them out when they closed.

they have been untouched in a few years. I cut back hard. Left some new leafs and will hopefully get some good back budding. I will cut new buds this year as I believe in the bloom every 3 year process. I am expecting some dieback as I was aggressive with the roots.
32AF5312-C190-434E-A3F0-7779B00AC3B3.jpegA73AA5D9-15FD-4BBC-98DB-F2642A1C0232.jpegF0EA3776-E90B-4E47-A2A1-72E32E0FBADA.jpeg

Attachments

• 7FC621AC-791A-4525-9608-6A7AF0A0BC8B.jpeg
    7FC621AC-791A-4525-9608-6A7AF0A0BC8B.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 18

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah, a nice 'Jukokan' sport. Seems quite a few years it was left unattended for. Maybe it was originally a whip? I can't quite see the remnants of the first true bonsai design.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hmm. I got a 'Sumika' and I kinda regret it is not a 'Banri no Kagayaki'. Or rather, I didn't have the option to pick between them.

'Sumika' is the narrow petal form of 'Banri no Kagayaki'. And 'Banri no Kirameki' is a 'Banri no Kagayaki' with a stronger yellowish blotch.
I am not completely into narrow petal. I thought it was a pointed petal flower.

This is mine, and I was surprised it is so much more narrow petal compared to the dictionary:
1654212379956.png

Example of 'Banri no Kirameki'

Yours is a lot more like mine than a 'proper' 'Banri no Kirameki'. Based on that one flower.
The small leaves are very good either way. Very good azalea.

Last edited:

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hmm. I got a 'Sumika' and I kinda regret it is not a 'Banri no Kagayaki'. Or rather, I didn't have the option to pick between them.

'Sumika' is the narrow petal form of 'Banri no Kagayaki'. And 'Banri no Kirameki' is a 'Banri no Kagayaki' with a stronger yellowish blotch.
I am not completely into narrow petal. I thought it was a pointed petal flower.

This is mine, and I was surprised it is so much more narrow petal compared to the dictionary:
View attachment 439981

Example of 'Banri no Kirameki'

Yours is a lot more like mine than a 'proper' 'Banri no Kirameki'. Based on that one flower.
The small leaves are very good either way. Very good azalea.
Thanks for all the information!!

Top Bottom