Ten Year Training

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this JBP in 2009 from a friend as a one yr old seedling as shown in this first pic.

pp21.jpg

At the time I had been doing JBP for only 2yrs and wasn't sure how this seedling would turn out years down the road.
After a few yrs of uninterrupted growth I was at the point to pick a leader for the apex. The tree certainly didn't look
to have much going for it at that time.

trains11ab.jpg

Here's a before shot taken a few days ago before decandeling. The apex turned out pretty good I think.

_DSC1344_pe.jpg

Decandeling done today. The tree will never be a show stopper but it was fun working with it for the past ten years. :)

_DSC1373_pe.jpg

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As per your photo's, you obviously didn't plant this tree in the ground (or did you?). If not, I can only hope that I can produce similar results, from my potted 4 year olds, as you have produced here! Very nice, very inspirational!
We'll get together one of these days, 'as soon as my work slows down for the winter'. I currently cannot make any 'sure' plans for any day/time of the week.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As per your photo's, you obviously didn't plant this tree in the ground (or did you?).

No ground planting on any of my JBPs, colanders only until they were ready at the trunk thickness I desired. If I was a younger man with more time ahead of me they would still be thickening up but I knew going in 6yrs ago time wouldn't be on my side so I opted for shohin size on my JBPs and hopefully have some nice ones in the not too far distant future. :)

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I was a younger man with more time ahead of me they would still be thickening up
We belong to the same club. I too have grown a bit long in the tooth and realize that time is no longer on 'my' side, either. Hindsight being what it is... I wish that I would have taken an interest in Bonsai when I was a teen.

Top Bottom