tension wire at Lowes

Peconomou

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This stuff comes in 170 ft coil for $44.98 at Lowes. Have any of you ever used it for Bonsai??? Appears to be aluminum and coated. Bendable but strong.

1630430343125.png

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've never used it. Tension wire is typically used in construction for situations when you want pulling strength that remains under load - like to square up a sagging structure or a fence. Not sure how easy to would be to bend.

Look for solid copper ground wire - also carried by Lowes - as a better alternative, though you will need to anneal it.

Peconomou

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've never used it. Tension wire is typically used in construction for situations when you want pulling strength that remains under load - like to square up a sagging structure or a fence. Not sure how easy to would be to bend.

Look for solid copper ground wire - also carried by Lowes - as a better alternative, though you will need to anneal it.
It is a thicker wire but pretty easy to bend. I just bought a roll to see how it will work....pretty cheap per foot … $45 for 170ft....but I have not used it yet.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd expect that wire to be a cheap steel alloy....I'm envisioning the wire they use to hold up drop ceiling grids....???

Peconomou

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'd expect that wire to be a cheap steel alloy....I'm envisioning the wire they use to hold up drop ceiling grids....???
It was in the outdoor fencing area. I believe it is meant to link together chain link fence transitions and to be twisted by hand or pliers. I can see it was use on my black chain link fence. It is also coated with perhaps some kind of vinyl.

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would avoid it, I'm pretty sure it's galvanized steel and pretty thick stuff too. Maybe useful for securing your pots to the bench or your shade cloth to some posts, but it's a little overkill for normal use.

Maybe if you needed to create a spine for a really big bend, maybe it could be used instead of expensive 6awg copper, but I don't know how often that would come up for you.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Aluminum wire made specifically for bonsai is so dirt cheap on Amazon, I wouldn't try to save a few bucks buying something that might be a suitable alternative. And this opinion comes from someone who will DIY something whenever the opportunity presents itself. Oftentimes it is best to just buy a product made for a specific purpose.

Top Bottom