Tent Caterpillars and Junipers?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey all, my collection mainly consists of junipers at this stage, and I have tent caterpillars again in the tree near my deck. My wife and I were able to wipe out most tents, but we missed one and I've found a couple stragglers out roaming. I have some BT I just bought, but wanted to see of anybody has ever used it effectively and safely on junipers, and around them. The literature says its not harmful, but safer to ask here. Any general tent caterpillar experience with bonsai would he much appreciated 🙏

I have used BT on junipers in the landscape and would not hesitate to use it any plant or cat.
That said, I have never seen tent caterpillars on a juniper. At least not a tent.

That is really odd. I can't see any reason for a tent caterpillar on a juniper. I have 8 acres mostly wooded. I have destroyed a lot of tents over 34 years but never seen them anywhere but on deciduous trees, mostly cherries. Could you post a picture? And yes, BT should work. It won't give as fast a knockdown as several other products, but it should work.

That is really odd. I can't see any reason for a tent caterpillar on a juniper. I have 8 acres mostly wooded. I have destroyed a lot of tents over 34 years but never seen them anywhere but on deciduous trees, mostly cherries. Could you post a picture? And yes, BT should work. It won't give as fast a knockdown as several other products, but it should work.
The reason I'm asking is that they are in tents in a tree that is directly over my junipers, so they are naturally walking around up to no good on my deck. I saw a post online about a guy who showed a photo of a caterpillar inside of a juniper leaf/bud, but I can't be too certain that it was a tent. So, they are not in my junipers, but just in the vicinity...They are, again, starting to gnaw on the tree itself, which is why I need to spray the nests now, and before spring in the tree I suppose.

Your junis are safe from the tent caterpillars, me thinks. In my experience, spider mites are the biggest pest related to juniper cultivation, closely followed by certain fungi if in a fairly humid climate.

Your junis are safe from the tent caterpillars, me thinks. In my experience, spider mites are the biggest pest related to juniper cultivation, closely followed by certain fungi if in a fairly humid climate.
Oh, I just found my first landscape with juniper rust, so it is a battle from here. I have the liquid coming today that you just have to put a few drops on each spongy thing, so I will be doing that, and likely applying the 4X in the fall. Here's to the battle!

Back
Top Bottom