Terra Cotta: My musings on...and resulting actions with.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
While I'm thinking of it: free-standing mudmen often have a hole in the bottom. One theory is that it allowed the maker to have them on a stick for easy handling while adding details. My own thought is that the finished figures will stay put in a penjing scene with a toothpick or section of chopstick hidden beneath them.
FWIW 🤨
Still catching up, but this one made me stop.

How familiar are you guys with the making of ceramic figurines? Painting ceramics was a hobby of my grandma's before she died, so I picked up a little bit as a kid.
A clay slip (clay so watery it runs as a liquid) is poured into a mould, and the mould rotated so the slip coats the inside, then allowed to dry. Excess slip is poured out, and the rest is left to dry completely for several days before separating the mould and removing the "green" clay figurine, which is completely hollow and has a hole in the bottom. The seams are cleaned up and the piece fired to a fine white china to then be painted.

I believe this is why your mudmen have holes in the bottoms.

Ceramic art is a very common and popular hobby, so you may very well have a shop near you. Just look it up.
The shop my grandma used is still here in the same building after nearly 50 years in business.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My mother worked for a similar ceramics shop..she just did painting..acrylic

While i agree that MANY forms are made through molds and slip as you’ve described (A local guy does D&D figures like this, carves the moulds with some kind of epoxy resin), the most Impressive mudmen; or figures for plantings I see are either carved, or fabricated from pieces.. if you look hard.. you can see “seams”... whereas the poured/spun ones (I believe) only have a seam on the bottom.. by the hole.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of the smaller mudmen are solid, but single standing figures often have a little narrow hole -- And a toothpick would keep them from falling over every time you water or the wind blows.

I posted some photos to this thread a while back. Dunno if ANY of them had the holes, though 🤨

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was WONDERING...

Based on some language in other messages between us, I had the impression that you were either unaware, or quite “behind” on this, my clay thread.

🤓
I'm working on it, man!

But honestly, outside of the ceramics as a kid, I'm still working on learning how to autopsy the trees I'm killing, leaving clay is still over my head, so not been priority reading.
Making progress on MarkyScott's soil physics, though.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m still intimidated by figures..

But this 847 clay, has been SUCH a pleasure to use... I might have to try again.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmm! The sleeves appear to be an important part in the role of “arms staying on” 🤣

That was one of my worries..

...a farewell to arms.

Thank you MUCH for taking the time to share these.

🤓

Top Bottom