Terra Cotta: My musings on...and resulting actions with.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Used some scraps for glaze tester pieces.. ALSO utilized this opportunity to “learn” about some of the tools in my kit that I haven’t used yet. Getting two birds stoned at once.... or somethin’ like that.

🤓
FE4E2308-72FD-4BF1-B092-08CC5AFC1A97.jpeg
84259C1F-0DBF-42B3-AF72-4120BA7516DB.jpeg

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Trying out a new concept for my signature.

(Also a sneak peak at an eye-shaped pot.. @liquid_back_draft thinks that the shape (eye) should be referred to as “the lid”... I like it!)

9C091DD4-69B9-4E7E-8A5D-1297298E2BB2.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It’s actually just a parallel-line projection of my Initials in my handwriting.. Adding a dimension. (And then the date in da’middle)

I’ve been interesting in carving stamps AND texture tools, lately.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thought I’d share this.

Aaaaand bisque tomorrow... weather permitting...

I’ve never fired stoneware.. should be fun.... i was PLANNING on bisque-ing(🤣) to 06-1 .. but not sure exactly... thoughts?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PLANNING on bisque-ing(🤣) to 06-1

If you've already become comfortable glazing greenware, I'd skip the bisque like a rock into the lake.

If not, getting comfortable would be my recommendation.

I can't find the text that tells of actual organics burnout taking place all the way through 1900F, but it is somewhere on DF. Most text says it happens way earlier, but it is totally dependant on many more things, including the fact that 98% of potters will never witness the problems associated with an incomplete burnout of organics. We are the 2%.

Most of what you'll find is about the absorption of glaze at different bisque temps. The larger concern is the burnout of organics.

06 will absorb more glaze than 1.

Because almost no kiln fires perfectly even, I believe most glaze problems come from folks not realizing the actual amount of glaze they are applying to bisque.
A one second dip of a 06 pot is going to leave more glaze than a 05 bisque.
It's technically impossible to adjust for that.

Glazing greenware removes that uncertainty, since the bonedry clay will be more similarly and consistently porous.

I think the information about organics burnout is actually in Steven Hills PDF "An approach to Single Firing." Google download.

The benefit we get as bonsai potters, is the unglazed inside will allow for organics gasses to still pass through somewhat, even after the glaze has sealed the outer surface.

IMO....
Bisqueing leaves many variables and unanswerable questions. Too many failures with an unidentifiable cause.

The only difficulty in glazing greenware can be easily adjusted by changing the specific gravity of the glaze. You get to see this upfront without wasting gas and there is no question. Pot breaks if you glaze too much too fast, or if the specific gravity is too low. This is better than wasting gas, ruining shelves, and having pots take up space in the kiln that won't certainly make it through.

No Bisque Less Risk.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yeah..
Brush-on Glazing oven-dried greenware is all I know.. because all I HAVE fired is earthenware.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Alright! So i did more research into glazing greenware at higher temperatures.. and it does, STILL feel like glazing the greenware “fits” my processes best..

I will just adjust it so there is a 5-10 percent (similarly coned) clay body present in my glaze. Acting as a portion of it’s Alumina content..

Also, @sorce , that Clear you sent back up here to the woods.. you said it can go to 6.. but is slightly unstable and “crazes” a bit... My thoughts are.. using a Sodium/Magnesium mixture as a secondary flux, then filling out the silica portion with.. um.. WHATEVER the hell Silica source I’m experimenting with...

One would Think that the Na/Mg (Mostly NA) mixture would stabilize the flux to a higher temp.. while adding the equivalent of silica would “complete” overall balance (While allowing room for experimentation).. and Matching the Alumina with Kaolin or Tennessee Ball which will gear the WHOLE mixture...

..towards glazing greenware..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
experimentation

Your chemistry is beyond me and I know I can't stop you!

I would try to fire a 3rd unglazed pieces.
A third "sure" glaze pieces, like that little green one, which I was thinking will probably be wicked in reduction, from 6-10.
And a third, experiments.

As much as I enjoy and am amazed by your experiments, which, seem to have enough thought put into them that they are hardly even experiments, I think it will serve that end product better, to practice with and gain the rewards of what it working with "ready made" stuff.

Reckon "practice with" is like 90% learning the kilns zones, so you can maximize efficiency with proper consistent placement and mass, with stuff that doesn't take much effort, so you can fire much more.

Rain Rain Go Away!

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Your chemistry is beyond me and I know I can't stop you!

I would try to fire a 3rd unglazed pieces.
A third "sure" glaze pieces, like that little green one, which I was thinking will probably be wicked in reduction, from 6-10.
And a third, experiments.

As much as I enjoy and am amazed by your experiments, which, seem to have enough thought put into them that they are hardly even experiments, I think it will serve that end product better, to practice with and gain the rewards of what it working with "ready made" stuff.

Reckon "practice with" is like 90% learning the kilns zones, so you can maximize efficiency with proper consistent placement and mass, with stuff that doesn't take much effort, so you can fire much more.

Rain Rain Go Away!

Sorce
Thank you! For your kind words. I shall consider all of these thoughts/angles.. there are actually a few that I WANT unglazed.. not to mention all those structures which will remain unglazed..

You know me too well.. I was GEARED UP..getting ready to “test glaze recipes” on ALL these pieces... I see, NOW.. what you are saying, Afro-mbre! 🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The forecast cleared for TODAY.. so I was gonna bisque.. but I will be glazin’ some of these bad boys (emphasis on bad HAHA!).. and planning a FULL
fire for Sunday.. if the rain does, in fact, stop Saturday night..

Top Bottom