Terra cotta

Mimstrel

Sapling
Reaction score
I've started experimenting with creating some pots for myself. Because I have about 50lbs of terra cotta clay but only about 15 of stoneware clay, and it has been a while since I did much ceramics, I started out making some forms from terra cotta. Later I'll post some pictures of the ones I've got made thus far (waiting to be fired).

I know it doesn't vitrify and isn't frost proof, and they're not exactly show quality, but what are opinions for using hand built terra cotta pots for tropical bonsai? When I try searching to see if anyone does it, I see people saying that yes, they sometimes use terra cotta (implied that they mean the cheap terra cotta pots from any garden center) for growing out trees, but that terra cotta isn't frost proof. Nobody seems to make the argument, "should work fine for tropical bonsai since you don't let those frost anyway."

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think Eastern Iowa Should have enough clay down by the Sipp to up that number from 50 to 50,000!

I think the color is the most off-putting, but they should work great, especially since you can make them whatever shape you wish!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mimstrel,

folk used to take the tree out of the pots for winter and
store them in the ground or in shelters in zone 7.

Earthenware pots shed water like porous soil.

Too much laziness.
l
A litte research and you can make earthenware vitreous.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom