Terracotta training pots

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just spend more than an hour googling for a place where I can buy shallow/bowl-like terracotta pots for the same price I would pay for a normal terracotta plant pot. I pride myself in my google skills, but alas, I failed.

The best I did was find the catalog of a Germany company Spang. They produce all manner of terracotta pots, including bowls and half height pots. Their draining holes seem a wee bit smaller than those tokoname pots imported from Japan sold at some bonsai stores. Not sure why I should buy a plant bot made in Japan when apparently there are factories in Germany and Italy producing these things.

No luck so far.

If someone knows where I can buy these online for about 1 to 3 euro a piece online, depending on their size, please let me know. If not, I will post the answer here when I find it.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maybe just go to your local garden center. My home depot has 6" terra cotta azalea pot for $2.5

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Maybe look for bulb pots or azalea pots. They are the best kind I have found near me. I usually drill extra holes to wire in. I haven't bought any online though

They look like this:
1592093885829.png

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok, I might have found something:

From the UK, so technically, no longer in the EU ( ;( ) What is the darn keyword I need to use in Dutch or French or German to find 'half pot', pfff. Ill take a break and I see someone commented.

Yeah, the common keywords should be 'cactus pot', 'azalea pot' or 'bulb pot'. But despite living in bulb capital, out of the 2500+ pots the major nationwide garden center chain here has on their webshop, they are either normal depth plant pots or some fancy art deco/hipster style monstrosities. And the keyword 'terracotta' apparently doesn't mean 'cheap throw away pot' but 'exclusive luxury item'. I can apparently even buy 'plastic terracotta pots' made out of polyethylene.
[edit] I figured it out 'terracotta' apparently is a colour now.

Yeah, I want a bunch for azalea.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you have a look at local small scale gardencenters, or big stores like Overvecht, you'll probably be able to find them for a decent price. Usually on the discount racks. Second hand stores seem to have them too.

Also, have a look at outdoor candles https://www.bol.com/nl/p/f-c-citronella-kaars-in-terracotta-pot-anti-muggen/9300000002893579/
Burn those up, drill a hole, and you're finished. Most of them are perfectly frost proof and have nicer designs than actual plant pots. I found a couple of them for less than 3 euro a piece in a local supermarket.

Vlamschaal terracotta is a search term I'd try.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah, I visited several garden centers. I don't remember them having them, then found out these potteries Spang and Deroma that make them. I did find 'azalea pot' though, but the smallest diameter was 25 cm. I want small ones. So by luck, you can find them, somehow. Even though they are not on their website. I guess too mundane to put on there. I will just have to randomly visit garden centers until I find them.

Last edited:

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Actually, I did see a whole stack of those Bolsius Vlamschaal and I recognize them from your post. But I don't want to go through cutting out the wax and then drilling holes of 20+ of these things. And then washing them with a solvent to make sure all the wax is out. And at this points, I don't want bowl. I want at least a flat bottom with 70% the surface area of the top.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Let them burn up, the heat will draw the wax from the clay or it'll just evaporate. Candle wax has a pretty low evaporation temperature.
As for removing the wax manually, it took less than five minutes.

apolaine

Seedling
Reaction score
I saw a few of these in Bauhaus but assume they’d just crack if I drilled them. What did you use to drill with?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw a few of these in Bauhaus but assume they’d just crack if I drilled them. What did you use to drill with?

Diamond hole saw would make quick work of terracotta. Start at an angle to get an edge started and slowly tilt back to vertical (unless you have a drill press, or make a guide out of wood or something); use while submerged in water for cooling.

I have a cheap set from Amazon (US):

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I used regular drills meant for concrete and stone/rock. But I've managed to get the same results with wood drills - but the drills will be ruined. They're less than 2 euros for a set in our local 'dollar stores'. Aldi or Lidl have cheap sets sometimes.
A bit of water helps cooling, and it'll keep most of the dust in place. It's hard to get out of your clothes. I used an old towel below the pot to make sure the vibrations would destroy the pot.

High speed, low pressure.

When the drill exits the pot, do expect some chipping. I haven't found a way of preventing that as a whole.

apolaine

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks. Might give it a go. I have some large masonry bits that might do the job. I’ll practice on some already broken pots!

Tape on the rear side didn’t help chipping?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
test - soaking the pot first

test - drill from the outside - chip is hidden
Good Day
Anthony

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tape on the rear side didn’t help chipping?
The drill got caught in it and.. Well let's just say it wasn't really safe to try again.
Painters tape might do the trick, heavy duty duct tape is a disaster recipe.. Not just because the drill can get stuck but also because it can melt due to the frictional heat.

Top Bottom