Terracotta training pots

leus

Yamadori
Reaction score
Since I live at the end of the world, there is no good source of bonsai pots. I've always loved japanese terracotta training pots, they look nice. However, they get too expensive delivered to my country; but since there are plenty of artisans around here (and quite cheap), I asked around and one guy agreed to made me some terracota training pots in the style of the japanese. Here are they, waiting for the kiln. I'm so chuffed :)

1664659126096.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bueno! Estoy de acuerda!

Eres Chileno? Escucho eso es Hermosa.

Do you know what the firing method is?

More info about the maker'd be sweet! (Para information solemente)

🤓

leus

Yamadori
Reaction score
Bueno! Estoy de acuerda!

Eres Chileno? Escucho eso es Hermosa.

Do you know what the firing method is?

More info about the maker'd be sweet! (Para information solemente)

🤓
Heh- yes.

I don't know - I've seen that this particular gent produces some clean terracotta pots for succulents, so I guess they have access to an electric kiln. But the zone where they produce this is famous by their black burnt pottery, which they produce as old school as it gets (wood firing). So I'm not sure how will they turn out.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, I like Terra cotta for training coz the elements here eat plastic so I found myself a cheap source of training pots
Must admit that storage sucks since they aren’t quite as stackable as plastic

leus

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey - yes, they are nice.

I sent the maker the dimensions and a couple of pictures, but I think he mixed height with depth. These are supposed to be N°9 I think (9" x 4 1/2") but they are taller.

Oh well. My plan is to use them to make prebonsai so they'll do fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, they will do fine. I prefer how terracotta breathes as opposed to pond baskets that dry out quickly, and plastic which doesn’t breathe at all.
I do wonder if there is an optimal method to modify to make it shallower for nebari development for trees that are ready for it

1.Fill partially
2.Landscaping cloth divider halfway down
3.Drainage layer of large rocks
4.Upside down smaller drainage trey

Maybe a combo of 3 and 4?

Edit: those tie down holes are nice too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom