terrarium?

Reaction score
I saw a thread on here a while back about the possibility of growing ficus in an aquarium to provide enough humidity to produce arial roots. I have come across a glass terrarium-like vessel with a glass top and was wondering if one of my ficus plants would enjoy some extra humidity. The lid is removable and rather than make an actual terrarium out of it I figure I can just take the tree out from time to time, while keeping it in its pot, or even just keep the lid off for some ventilation.

Has anyone else done something similar? It looks like a fish bowl with a glass lid. I'll take pictures when I get a chance.

Im not all that fond of arial roots but I do like when roots pour off the trunk like spaghetti noodles.

any thoughts?

tokai

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DE
A recommendation I got a while back, which I didn't try myself yet, is to use plastic drinking straws to help aerial roots to grow quicker.

Basically if you have an aerial root shot on some branch, you'll jam the straw between the branch and the soil surface, so the root shot is inside the straw. The idea is to direct the root growth straight down and in theory there will be also higher humidity collecting inside the pipe (rising up from the soil, but less chance to dilute away because of air movement) helping the root to grow quicker.

Though personally I made the experience with many plants that they tend to grow aerial root shots quicker if there's a lack of food, so to speak (e.g. one forgot to water the plant regularly.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've had some pretty good luck growing in an aquarium in the following thread.http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?9221-50w-LED-Spotlight

I've had to remove a number of air roots from each of the ficus in there, but only because they weren't exactly where I wanted them. If you already have a container picked out then it would prob help to get a good light and a fan to distribute the heat. I've gotten some pretty good growth so far.

What type of ficus do you have

Reaction score
Its a small ficus benjamina that I grew from a cutting. The plant is nothing special; I grow some small ficus varieties just to have something around in the winter to look at since my other trees are deciduous. The enclosure is too small for a light or much of anything else. I put the ficus in and closed the lid. I can already see humidity condensing on the glass. My other ficus trees are small also and they all do fine by the window, I've just had this glass thing laying around and I wanted to try to find a use for it. Originally I was just going to plant moss in it but if the ficus likes it then maybe they can each take turns. I suspect it may also be good for rooting cuttings which I like to do for little gift-plants.

here is a picture of the ficus and the glass and of the ficus without the glass.

DSCN0079.jpgDSCN0076.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That terrarium is too small.

You will need strong lights if it will be outside. The glass and the condensation will filter/reflect most of it and your tree might not get enough otherwise.

Good luck!

Reaction score
That terrarium is too small.

You will need strong lights if it will be outside. The glass and the condensation will filter/reflect most of it and your tree might not get enough otherwise.

Good luck!

currently its in the direct sun and these are tolerant of low light from my experience with them. if people can grow aquariums filled with plants using synthetic light why is this the problem? i was expecting the plant to respond noticably with new growth and possibly arial roots. you think this will kill it?

i thought this was an understory species.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All plants have a minimum light requirement. It varies by species but what I am saying is, what might be sufficient when the plant is not inside the terrarium might not be when it is inside and the light is outside.

Careful putting the plant in and out or in direct sun then just light. Ficus is known to react to these changes by dropping leaves.

Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you'll do fine with this setup and it will encourage air roots. More light would be better, but ficus b. is tolerant. Just be sure not to over water it an ripen I up at least every couple days.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I used to grow in aquariums, but ran into too many fungal/bug issues with them so eventually gave up.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"IF" is a huge word but I remember the thread you are refering to... That plant was ready for the trash and was left in a heated and wet enclosure. It was also given the option of having air movement for a LONG time to get those roots. It was less of an enclosed enviornment as it was allowed good air flow as needed. The roots were inspired by doing small chops here and there to encouarge them and if I remember right took several years. Also that plant had a huge base to start with although it was very very short.

Top Bottom