Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
B87801CF-F142-4C20-B123-598FC3023B21.jpegB56C54DF-1BD1-4940-9645-9158CB2A0823.jpeg15A8CCA7-CB3C-42DD-AB1D-C3840DDB7441.jpegDFB097BF-E4A7-401C-94DB-CD99A3130F81.jpegF3AD1F4E-14F9-4041-A4C2-4F1C2F520FFF.jpegDF46EC68-4FBF-49AB-BDD5-0E902CE2B23E.jpeg83F2854A-0535-4D93-9B35-859363D12DAA.jpegCA34E846-74E4-44D2-811C-21E1F22286CD.jpeg0E481140-C687-417E-B354-034F976428A5.jpegAD391944-51C5-4DD1-84BC-FF0EADBF5196.jpegSo I’ve been doing some collecting this year and I have found some nice Ashe junipers that I have my eye on. I have gotten a few out and can hopefully get a couple more into pots before the collecting season is over. Here are a couple I plan to eventually collect. Let me know which ones you would take and which ones you would leave. The soil here is nice sandy loam that holds onto the rootball well but is easy to dig in. Anyone else collecting Ashe juniper this year?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That third one is super cool! I would personally try for that one but theyre all pretty much winners in my books. Not sure how well Ashe junipers react to being dug though, keep us updated on it!

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Going out to collect Sunday for a club dig! The first photo looks the most promising to me, but I'm probably going to be aiming for something more like the last photo.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The 5th one, with the wide trunk, looks amazing... If I lived closer, I'd join your club for a shot at that 😀
Good luck!
Brent

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They all look like fabulous material. Good luck with your collecting!! I’ll PM you my address so you can send me one ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Going out to collect Sunday for a club dig! The first photo looks the most promising to me, but I'm probably going to be aiming for something more like the last photo.
Nice! Glad you got to go on your dig! Hopefully you find something nice. Be sure to post your finds! I’ll def have to get help to get the first one out. It’s pretty large.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That third one is super cool! I would personally try for that one but theyre all pretty much winners in my books. Not sure how well Ashe junipers react to being dug though, keep us updated on it!
They are collectible! It’s just critical to get a foot rootball out when you collect

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The 5th one, with the wide trunk, looks amazing... If I lived closer, I'd join your club for a shot at that 😀
Good luck!
Brent
I wish I lived close to a club myself! Closest one is 2.5 hours away so just gonna have to hire a friend to help haha

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
V. Cool. Number one is my favourite, but that’s a great selection there. I’m very jealous.

Walther

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are awesome! i love that first one!
I have recently become interested in collecting wild trees and was wondering how you go about it? Do you go to private or public land? If you go to public land, do you pick hunting land? parks? hiking trails? what are good locations that I should start a search? i have been thinking public hunting land would be the best place bc there is alot of secluded area and tons of specimens which would be perfect.

Walther

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are awesome! i love that first one!
I have recently become interested in collecting wild trees and was wondering how you go about it? Do you go to private or public land? If you go to public land, do you pick hunting land? parks? hiking trails? what are good locations that I should start a search? i have been thinking public hunting land would be the best place bc there is alot of secluded area and tons of specimens which would be perfect.

To add on to my question I am also in Texas (east Texas near galveston) where do you go to collect these junipers? I am super interested in doing so and would like to plan a trip (bc of all the virus stuff i have to push it till next spring)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m relatively new my self. This is one private land. There’s really not much public land to collect on in Texas. So you’re best bet is to get permission from a private land owner. There is an Austin bonsai society that you should join. They go on a few club dogs every year I believe.

Walther

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I am in Houston/Galveston area so Houston one would be closest. But I have seen that they usually go dig for maples. I did see the Austin club go dig for junipers but that was a while ago.
What I had in mind was go to public hunting grounds and then just get the permit to dig up a juniper. Do you know if anyone uses this method or if its even a viable route to go through to get a specimen?
I will get in contact with the clubs in my area to see what the deal is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes I am in Houston/Galveston area so Houston one would be closest. But I have seen that they usually go dig for maples. I did see the Austin club go dig for junipers but that was a while ago.
What I had in mind was go to public hunting grounds and then just get the permit to dig up a juniper. Do you know if anyone uses this method or if its even a viable route to go through to get a specimen?
I’m not sure. There’s not really any public hunting land around my area. You would just have to call around and then see if these junipers even grow in your area. As far as I know they don’t really grow East of I35

J_Cham13

Seedling
Reaction score
I had the same idea, and actually emailed someone with the sam Houston national forest service. She told me you can get a permit to dig up trees. I think they’re $15-$25 a permit or something like that.

If you’re still interested, I’ll try to dig through my old emails. I never took her up on the offer. I’m in Austin so it was never worth my drive.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
View attachment 285781View attachment 285783View attachment 285784View attachment 285785View attachment 285786View attachment 285787View attachment 285788View attachment 285789View attachment 285790View attachment 285791So I’ve been doing some collecting this year and I have found some nice Ashe junipers that I have my eye on. I have gotten a few out and can hopefully get a couple more into pots before the collecting season is over. Here are a couple I plan to eventually collect. Let me know which ones you would take and which ones you would leave. The soil here is nice sandy loam that holds onto the rootball well but is easy to dig in. Anyone else collecting Ashe juniper this year?
NUMBER 1 AND 4 ARE MY FAVOURITES

Top Bottom